Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/)
-   -   O2 aeration of wort (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/o2-aeration-wort-102614/)

IowaHarry 02-10-2009 01:32 AM

O2 aeration of wort
 
Can I use the O2 from my oxy/acetylene torch as the source of O2? I can't say as I am interested in getting a dedicated O2 bottle just for aerating.

What do you use?

polecreek 02-10-2009 01:42 AM

O2 is 02 no matter what the bottle looks like. I have a torch setup also but aerating is something I have played with and decided that its a waste of time or oxygen. Just my opinion

T-Hops 02-11-2009 12:13 AM

I do, but make sure you are using a HEPA filter.

BigNastyBrew 02-11-2009 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polecreek (Post 1123446)
O2 is 02 no matter what the bottle looks like. I have a torch setup also but aerating is something I have played with and decided that its a waste of time or oxygen. Just my opinion

After listening to Palmer and Jamil's Brew Strong show, I couldn't agree with you more. Shaking the fermenter is a very effective way of oxygenating your beer. Just a ton heavier than a hose. :cross:

ewbish 02-11-2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHarry (Post 1123421)
Can I use the O2 from my oxy/acetylene torch as the source of O2? I can't say as I am interested in getting a dedicated O2 bottle just for aerating.

What do you use?

I just took some tubing, plugged one end and then just above the plug used a needle heated up red hot to make a bunch of little holes. The holes extend about 3 inches above the plug. When I rack the cooled wort from my boil pot through this tube.......it causes it to spray into the bucket which forces aeration. It also acts as a filter to catch any trub that gets picked up. Seems to work really well, and my yeast usually takes off really fast.

GilaMinumBeer 02-11-2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Hops (Post 1125573)
I do, but make sure you are using a HEPA filter.

I hear ya' but don't you think this is being a little paranoid?

I mean before the days of fish pump aerating or oxygenating did you waterfall your wort through a HEPA filter? Did you wisk your open fermenter in a "pressurized clean room"?

I won't deny that it is good advice leaning on the safe side but, I wouldn't say it's necessary.

Pete08 02-11-2009 02:55 PM

I drilled an SS screw lengthwise and crosswise, don't remember off-hand what size, suffice to say it was small, then stacked several SS washers on the bolt, locked them against the screw head with an SS nut, then threaded it into some 1/4" copper tubing. Yes, it was tight but it worked. I wasn't about to waste X number of dollars on a SS stone as some multi-posters suggested when I can practically build the same thing.

D-Ring 02-11-2009 02:55 PM

There is another post around about using a venturi. Basically putting a small section of pipe, say broken filling wand, in your syphon hose and putting a small hole in it that sucks air in as the beer syphons through.

SpanishCastleAle 02-11-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Did you wisk your open fermenter in a "pressurized clean room"?
Class 100 M 3.5 ISO 5...and humidity controlled between 40%-60% rh...doesn't everybody?:p

IowaHarry 02-11-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewbish (Post 1126625)
I just took some tubing, plugged one end and then just above the plug used a needle heated up red hot to make a bunch of little holes. The holes extend about 3 inches above the plug. When I rack the cooled wort from my boil pot through this tube.......it causes it to spray into the bucket which forces aeration. It also acts as a filter to catch any trub that gets picked up. Seems to work really well, and my yeast usually takes off really fast.

Are you driving this with a pump, or gravity? I would think a handfull of hop spooge would be a problem too.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:35 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.