Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Nottingham yeast - hydrate or not ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 02:09 AM   #81
boscobeans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
If you choose to ignore it or somehow otherwise mistakenly believe it is subjective, that is your prerogative. .
Thank you

bosco

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #82
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Sorry bosco, its really not that complicated. High density wort increases the osmotic pressure on the yeast cell membrane relative to pure water. Increased osmotic pressure leads to yeast stress and increased levels of cell death, again relative to hydration in a 1.000 gm/cm3 solution. Here's just one of many peer-reviewed papers on the subject.

At its core, this is a simple principle, along the lines of something elementary - like helium is less dense than air. It is not up for debate. If you choose to ignore it or somehow otherwise mistakenly believe it is subjective, that is your prerogative. But it doesn't change the facts.

You "punched out" on post 42.
How can anybody believe anything you say?

However, I wonder what the "science" will say in 20 - 30 years time. I suspect that it will be very different to what is believed (by some) to be accurate now.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #83
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I am familiar with Lallemand and Scott and both recommend rehydration for optimum yeast health. Rehydration is done with fairly warm water, 106F, and provides the necessary heat and moisture to rehydrate and "unfold" the dehydrated cell membrane. Without this procedure, the yeast cell membrane can remain in a deformed state (which is permanent) making the cell unable to function properly. In wine making, dry yeast is used almost exclusively and I have yet to meet a wine maker that does not rehydrate.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #84
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
In wine making, dry yeast is used almost exclusively and I have yet to meet a wine maker that does not rehydrate.
hello.
never rehydrate when making wine. And I made wine a lot longer than I've made beer.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #85
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
You "punched out" on post 42.
How can anybody believe anything you say?

However, I wonder what the "science" will say in 20 - 30 years time. I suspect that it will be very different to what is believed (by some) to be accurate now.

-a.
You're right, I should stay away, but the willful ignorance is really maddening.

It is actually an interesting observation of human behavior...people will sometimes believe what they want to believe to suit an internal bias, regardless of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Just a sampling of the nonsense in this thread (paraphrasing):

"The science must be wrong".
"It hasn't been tested by every person under every imaginable condition, therefore it may not be true'".
"My shortcuts work, so there's nothing to discuss".
"The science will be different in 20 years".
"You continued a discussion when you said you wouldn't, therefore you have no credibility".

The whole thing is really kind of laughable to the objective observer.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #86
boscobeans
Recipes 

Quote:
You're right, I should stay away, but the willful ignorance is really maddening.

The whole thing is really kind of laughable to the objective observer.
I think most folks are not ignorant of the "science", however they seem to have differing opinions on how important it really is when brewing.

As an objective observer I don't care how you or anyone else pitches their yeast. Rehydrate, dry, starter or not, I don't care if you throw the packet in the wort unopened for that matter.

My objective experience over the last several decades, although contrary to what was considered fact and the only way to do things, has shown me that a secondary is not essential for a good beer. I have skipped that step throughout all my brewing years and although my experiences and beers were good (excellent for the most part...Sorry but that is a subjective opinion) I have never claimed my method was as good as or better than another, even though the science of the times frowned on my method.

As far as the OP. I have never had a problem with Nottingham. No slow starts, stalls or any of the other varied fermentation problems. I pitch dry on the foam caused by pouring from the kettle to the fermenter. I do not stir it in or aerate the wort in any other fashion.. I brew all brown ales with original gravities from 1.050 to 1.065. 11 grams of yeast has always served me well when pitched at around 70 degrees and then brought down to the mid 60's. Nottingham from 65 up can get wild so I like to keep it controlled at <65. It is fast, clean and the trub if given enough time lays on the bottom like a wet blanket.

bosco

Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #87
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
I think most folks are not ignorant of the "science", however they seem to have differing opinions on how important it really is when brewing.

As an objective observer I don't care how you or anyone else pitches their yeast. Rehydrate, dry, starter or not, I don't care if you throw the packet in the wort unopened for that matter.

My objective experience over the last several decades, although contrary to what was considered fact and the only way to do things, has shown me that a secondary is not essential for a good beer. I have skipped that step throughout all my brewing years and although my experiences and beers were good (excellent for the most part...Sorry but that is a subjective opinion) I have never claimed my method was as good as or better than another, even though the science of the times frowned on my method.

As far as the OP. I have never had a problem with Nottingham. No slow starts, stalls or any of the other varied fermentation problems. I pitch dry on the foam caused by pouring from the kettle to the fermenter. I do not stir it in or aerate the wort in any other fashion.. I brew all brown ales with original gravities from 1.050 to 1.065. 11 grams of yeast has always served me well when pitched at around 70 degrees and then brought down to the mid 60's. Nottingham from 65 up can get wild so I like to keep it controlled at <65. It is fast, clean and the trub if given enough time lays on the bottom like a wet blanket.

bosco
And again you, like so many others, are debating whether or not underpitching makes a difference or not. "Science" didn't say to use a secondary. That was common brewing practice based on people's experience. Science is saying that not rehydrating yeast causes cell death. Now some people's brewing practice may find that unnecessary. Maybe 20 years from now they'll think that pitching 200 billion cells for a 1.060 wort was silly. Maybe it doesn't really make a difference. But what it does do is cut down on the number of yeast. If you're the type of person that is trying to pitch what professional brewers have determined as the "proper" amount of yeast, and you're using dry yeast, you should probably rehydrate (assuming your recipe calls for an entire packet). If you're not, carry on.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 10-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #88
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
It is actually an interesting observation of human behavior...people will sometimes believe what they want to believe to suit an internal bias, regardless of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
What I find most interesting is that YOU'RE doing exactly this.
"Lets say your local bar pours an American pint where 15% of the beer is missing due to headspace. Every 6.66 beers you drink you 'll have been missing 1 entire beer". 6.66 beers!. I wonder who's really responsible for the missing beers... I don't know, maybe Satan??!

Old 10-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #89
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell View Post
What I find most interesting is that YOU'RE doing exactly this.
That's not exactly true.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 10-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #90
boscobeans
Recipes 

I just added a third subject to my list of things not to debate in a bar..

1. Religion
2. Politics
3. Pitching yeast

To each his own

bosco

Quick Reply