Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Nottingham yeast - hydrate or not ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #61
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 26

This debate reminds me of the arguments of "fully qualified" compared to "best qualified". Sprinkling may be "fully qualified" while hydration may be "best qualified".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #62
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

always hydrate my dry yeast, warm water. always add oygen to wort prior to pitch.
always make a 2 qt starter.....and shake fermenter after pitching...
always try to pitch at room temps ...too cold will lag out action.

always have action within 30 minutes and many times less that half that.

GD51

Old 10-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #63
m1k3
Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I love Nottingham, in fact, if I could only have one yeast I would pick Nottingham.

I rehydrate with Go Ferm, but only out of superstition.

tap 1 - Bravo Brown Ale (US-05)
tap 2 - Pils (with Nottingham)
tap 3 - Bravo Brown Ale (T-58)
Keg 4/5 - Pils with S-23 lager (stored at 32F)

Old 10-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #64
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

my 30 minute, 60minute and 90 minute microscope slides to not show this "fact" of 50% die off from pitching dry. longer than that is pointless as I'm producing Co2 and krausen in 4 hours anyway.
My many side-by-side timed test don't show rehydrating starts ferments faster.

Fermentis even changed it's packaging in the last couple years to say "sprinkle into wort" and removed "rehydrate". the die off thing is brewlore.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #65
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
my 30 minute, 60minute and 90 minute microscope slides to not show this "fact" of 50% die off from pitching dry. longer than that is pointless as I'm producing Co2 and krausen in 4 hours anyway.

Fermentis even changed is packaging in the last couple years to say "sprinkle into wort" and removed "rehydrate". the die off thing is brewlore.
Didn't you read? It's indisputable fact. You're not allowed to argue with it. Your research and personal experience is completely meaningless...
"Lets say your local bar pours an American pint where 15% of the beer is missing due to headspace. Every 6.66 beers you drink you 'll have been missing 1 entire beer". 6.66 beers!. I wonder who's really responsible for the missing beers... I don't know, maybe Satan??!
People Like This 
Old 10-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #66
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post

Fermentis even changed it's packaging in the last couple years to say "sprinkle into wort" and removed "rehydrate". the die off thing is brewlore.
I am not surprised that the cell death hasn't happened by 90 minutes. Stress-induced apoptosis normally takes longer than that.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 10-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #67
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakbarn View Post
This debate reminds me of the arguments of "fully qualified" compared to "best qualified". Sprinkling may be "fully qualified" while hydration may be "best qualified".
i like your way of thinking.....

GD51

Old 10-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #68
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Another fact about this yeast: "It is unnecessary to aerate wort." I am sure that we all follow that as well. It is also Kosher and GMO Free. I love scientific facts. The only problem with them is that there are no "facts" but only theory and sometimes convention. After all, it was once a scientific "fact" that the Earth was flat. Ever read a science book from the 50's? You might get a laugh or two from the "facts".

If you follow the instructions for "best qualified", you would need to add cooled wort three times over a period of 15 minutes to your properly hydrated yeast so as to prevent "petite mutants". So you have your cooled wort sitting around for an extra 15 minutes and have three additional transfers in you sterile garage laboratory.
If is it not broken, do not fix it!

ms.jpg  

Old 10-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #69
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Hell, yeah. And GLOBAL WARMING. Can you believe THAT??? And EVOLUTION?!?! And what about GRAVITY?? Last time I sat under an apple tree no apple fell on my head! Scientists and politicians. Can't believe any of 'em. They're all idiots and liars.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #70
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakbarn View Post
Another fact about this yeast: "It is unnecessary to aerate wort." I am sure that we all follow that as well. It is also Kosher and GMO Free. I love scientific facts. The only problem with them is that there are no "facts" but only theory and sometimes convention. After all, it was once a scientific "fact" that the Earth was flat. Ever read a science book from the 50's? You might get a laugh or two from the "facts".

If you follow the instructions for "best qualified", you would need to add cooled wort three times over a period of 15 minutes to your properly hydrated yeast so as to prevent "petite mutants". So you have your cooled wort sitting around for an extra 15 minutes and have three additional transfers in you sterile garage laboratory.
If is it not broken, do not fix it!
Yes, science adapts to new information. That's the beauty of it. Currently it is being suggested to rehydrate the yeast. This is not a big enough deal that people need to get all bent out of shape and snarky. If you don't want to, don't. If you want to follow the basic instructions, do.

It is unsurprising that the cell death is not apparent after 90 minutes. This paper that used high concentrations of acetic acid to induce cell death showed it took 200 minutes of treatment and then 2 DAYS to see apoptosis. Now these cells are probably significantly weakened well before that (which would alter their ability to carry out fermentation), but again not surprised one wouldn't see major morphological changes at only 90 minutes. I think to test this you'd really have to look at growth curves for rehydrated and not rehydrated.

There has been evidence that not hydrating yeast causes 50% cell death. If you have contrary evidence, I'd love to see it. If not, we're once again back to arguing about whether underpitching or not makes a difference, which is old news.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply