The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Nottingham yeast - hydrate or not ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #41
pabloj13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie63 View Post
oh, Im not embarrassed are you? if u can remember this post is a debate not a one sided scientific factoid
Right! We're not going to let our yeast debate be settled by silly things like "science"!

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #42
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
if u can remember this post is a debate not a one sided scientific factoid
No, the whole point is that this is a proven scientific fact, and is not debatable. Reminds me of people who deny evolution or global warming b/c it disagrees with some ill-informed pre-conceived notion.

Anyway, it is clearly pointless to argue any further. I'm punching out...enjoy your homebrew.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #43
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Leaving the "undisputed" scientific facts out of the conversation there is the "undisputed" reality of many people's experiences using Nottingham.

I use it all the time for ales that start out from 1.050 to 1.062.. I start with about 6 - 7 gallons in the fermenter. I pour directly into the fermenter from my kettle and pitch the yeast evenly on the resulting foam. I try to keep it at about 64 for the first week.

Nottingham comes in 11 gram packages.. It has never failed to do what it is supposed to do..FERMENT. It is usually bubbling along in the first 6-8 hours.

My son used it on a 5 gallon batch of brown ale OG 1.058. When pitching he took the pack straight from the fridge, ripped it open and as he was pitching it on the surface about 1/2 the package fell out in one lump and sunk to the bottom.. No stirring or anything was done. He simply covered the fermenter and went on his way.

Result; The full fermentation was delayed by about 4 hours or so. The final product was as usual very good.

I don't know if I would ever need any better results from a yeast or even want them.. Nottingham is noted for blowing airlocks and bucket lids into outer space so why try to supercharge it. Maybe if I was doing 10 gallons at 1.060.

OMO

bosco

Old 10-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #44
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
Leaving the "undisputed" scientific facts out of the conversation there is the "undisputed" reality of many people's experiences using Nottingham.

I use it all the time for ales that start out from 1.050 to 1.062.. I start with about 6 - 7 gallons in the fermenter. I pour directly into the fermenter from my kettle and pitch the yeast evenly on the resulting foam. I try to keep it at about 64 for the first week.

Nottingham comes in 11 gram packages.. It has never failed to do what it is supposed to do..FERMENT. It is usually bubbling along in the first 6-8 hours.

My son used it on a 5 gallon batch of brown ale OG 1.058. When pitching he took the pack straight from the fridge, ripped it open and as he was pitching it on the surface about 1/2 the package fell out in one lump and sunk to the bottom.. No stirring or anything was done. He simply covered the fermenter and went on his way.

Result; The full fermentation was delayed by about 4 hours or so. The final product was as usual very good.

I don't know if I would ever need any better results from a yeast or even want them.. Nottingham is noted for blowing airlocks and bucket lids into outer space so why try to supercharge it. Maybe if I was doing 10 gallons at 1.060.

OMO

bosco
Right, and that gets into the debate of underpitching and whether or not it makes a difference. Rather than rehash the hundreds of threads about that topic, we can just say that if you need (based on the volume and OG of your wort) 1 entire packet of yeast and you direct sprinkle the yeast, you are underpitching. Period. Does that make a difference? That's up to your tastes I suppose, but the experts say it does. If you are happy with your process, that's great. But that doesn't make it correct.

Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard
People Like This 
Old 10-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #45
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Cold water freezes faster than warm water and warm water boils faster than cold water. Yet everyday people bring cold water to a boil and warm water to freezing. See, the facts haven't changed but similar results were achieved through different processes. This happens all the time in the world of science. It doesn't mean the facts have been debunked, it just means you can manipulate the variables and get similar results. So, everyone's right!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #46
Dougie63
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
No, the whole point is that this is a proven scientific fact, and is not debatable. Reminds me of people who deny evolution or global warming b/c it disagrees with some ill-informed pre-conceived notion.

Anyway, it is clearly pointless to argue any further. I'm punching out...enjoy your homebrew.
The results (taste, apperance ect) ARE debateable no matter what the science says. The so called facts are found doing research right? which is exactly what we do every time we brew. So does our research not matter? are you saying beer taste better because you rehydrated? That IS the topic remember?

Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #47
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
The results (taste, apperance ect) ARE debateable no matter what the science says. The so called facts are found doing research right? which is exactly what we do every time we brew. So does our research not matter? are you saying beer taste better because you rehydrated? That IS the topic remember?
To agree with the point that pabloj13 is trying to make: it's fact that not rehydrating lowers your cell count. Which makes this a debate about how important proper pitch rate is. And that's been done so, so many times on this forum already. We aren't getting into new territory here. If you're comfortable underpitching and you're happy with your beer, fine. I prefer to follow Jamil's advice and use his calculated pitch rates. No big deal.

Nobody's shooting down your "research."
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #48
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
<Facepalm>

Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #49
Dougie63
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

keyboard commandos lol, just cant debate anything without taking personal jabs eh?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #50
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie63
keyboard commandos lol, just cant debate anything without taking personal jabs eh?
Who took personal jabs?

Quick Reply