Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Nottingham yeast - hydrate or not ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #131
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
There's a difference between developing your craft and rabidly taking your last stand on an internet thread about dry yeast hydration and getting all upset just because some people don't give as much of a s*** as you do.
The people that don't care don't post asking for advice. The people that do might be interested in the science behind dry yeast hydration. If you don't care, stay out of the argument.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #132
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
The people that don't care don't post asking for advice. The people that do might be interested in the science behind dry yeast hydration. If you don't care, stay out of the argument.
I never disputed the science. I'm only interested in irritating tight-assed individuals who have no concept of proportion. If you read the first reply to this thread (mine), my comment was that since so many people do it both ways, and since all the beer from all the people who don't rehydrate their yeast doesn't suck, it can be assumed that in the grand scheme of things, among all the different things that can affect your beer, it probably doesn't matter that much. Have you ever heard a judge taste a beer, spit it out and say "Gyah! Clearly, the brewer did NOT rehydrate his yeast!"
Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 AM   #133
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

"Originally Posted by grimstuff

The fact that huge numbers of people either pitch rehydrated yeast or pitch straight from the pouch indicates it probably doesn't make much difference."

This was the first response to the question posed by the OP.

Great answer, It DOESN'T really matter that much at all.

"Originally Posted by grimstuff

There's a difference between developing your craft and rabidly taking your last stand on an internet thread about dry yeast hydration and getting all upset just because some people don't give as much of a s*** as you do."

I agree.

bosco

Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #134
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
I'm only interested in irritating tight-assed individuals who have no concept of proportion.
Sounds like you're only here to troll the thread and not make any positive contribution.

Once again, those who cannot argue the science intelligently will fall back on small-minded tactics. It all fits together if you think about it.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #135
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
Sounds like you're only here to troll the thread and not make any positive contribution.

Once again, those who cannot argue the science intelligently will fall back on small-minded tactics. It all fits together if you think about it.
Small-Minded Troll. That's a great name for a beer!!! Seriously though, I guess it's beyond my ability to "argue the science intelligently" with such an astute person as yourself, despite your inability to not take yourself too seriously or recognize when others are using tongue-in-cheek.

So from here on out, I'm just gonna stick to Dumb Old Reason and steer far clear of all the "intelligent science" of my betters.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #136
Dougie63
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

two words..... BOOK SMART

Old 10-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #137
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
I'm just gonna stick to Dumb Old Reason
It works for me.

bosco

Old 10-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #138
grimzella
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 46

and i'm gonna call my next batch i make.. angry g-string.. or Bad English ale.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #139
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

wow! this thread just seems to be the ever ready battery thread...just goes on & on & on.........
guess i need to comment some more.

myself i enjoy reading articles about brewing but too technical and it loses me. i like to get some knowledge and then hands-on. the deeper science interest me to a point, too techie then i doze....
been brewing ..since the late 90's and am sorta lazy, which has contributed to my stall out as an extract grain brewer for so many years.( ramping up for BIAB)
my evolution in the hobby went from dry yeast sprinkled into the caboy, then re-hydrated; fermented at room temps, then trying to cool it down by water soaked towels. liquid yeast.... controlled temps & !...now i'm back to dry yeast! i still re-hydrate dry yeast....why? I use starters of 2 qts and when i rehydrate the starter seems to propigate sooner. the best part i have very early fermenation usually with in 15-30 minutes after pitching. learning about adding oxygen helped it along too. i do feel that 5-7 minutes of shaking the carboy is almost as good. the oxygen bottle & stone just helps to cut labor & time. in conclusion, rehydrate yeast , starter , oxygen and controlled temps has proven to work for me....i'm no scientist or engineer i just do what works for me.....now if i could just get that DAMN DIY stir plate to work!!...

GD51

Quick Reply