Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > nottingham yeast cake?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
killian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default nottingham yeast cake?

has anyone tried using a yeast cake from a secondary with nottingham yeast? I have heard that there is more of a risk of contamination reusing dry yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

There is always a risk of contamination when reusing yeast. No more risk when using dry, its just that most people would never take that risk as opposed to buy a new pack of yeast (like $1 right?).

I would not pitch on Nottingham yeast that fell out in the secondary. Nottingham is a fairly high flocculating yeast, any that fall out in the secondary are low flocculating, I would not want those yeast in primary. Now if I were doing something where that didn't matter or if it was costly liquid yeast I would consider it.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
djflesch
Recipes 

I'm not familiar with that specific yeast, but for dry yeast in general, you're correct, you should not try to repitch yeast that started from a dry packet. In general, the dry yeast is so much cheaper than the liquid yeast that you shouldn't have to worry about cost.

The reason that you shouldn't repitch dry yeast is because the sterility and uniformity of the strain is typically much lower than liquid yeasts. Due to this, dry yeast have higher bacteria and wild-type yeast (mutants) than liquid yeasts do. Both bacteria and wild-type yeast replicate quicker than your desired yeast strain, so when you repitch, you will have even higher concentrations in your next batch. This will lead to either complete contamination (bacteria) or undesired or off-tastes (wild-type).

So if you want to repitch yeast, then start using a liquid yeast culture and you will have better success!

Old 07-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

I've never used the secondary yeast, but I routinely pitch on Nottingham cakes for high gravity ales. I recently ran a Mild, then a lawnmower ale, then an IPA on one packet of Nottingham. I've never had a problem with contamination & contrary to the previous poster's opinion, dry yeasts are as pure as any liquid yeast.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The lore has it that you shouldn't repitch on dry yeast. The way it is dried is a non-sterile process (unlike liquid yeast processing) so theoretically the opportunity for increasing contamination exists. Practically homebrewers are fine to re-use a couple of times especially if you are doing a good job with a sanitary process and providing a good healthy environment that promotes yeast growth. Sure the financial benefit is not there for dry yeast but if I wanted to brew and had no yeast other then the Nottingham sitting in the bottom of my primary I'd use it. As others have posted they have done it and had fine beer.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just washed a Windsor dry yeast and it looks pretty healthy to me.

I always play with the yeast to see how they save. The dry yeasts are good to experiment with/learn techniques on.

I just tossed 8 contaminated baby food jars of a Czech Bud yeast.

Funny thing is I used 2 of them (prior to the contamination showing up) and the brew was great.

The next generation looks very healthy with no telltale signs of problems and has lasted longer.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 07-09-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
Turricaine
Recipes 

I dont recycle because the cost of a new packet of yeast just means that it is not an area I am about to tangle with.

I think there is an element of being a sissy here in that I am not really clued up on microbiology. If I was though, then im sure that reusing yeast is quite ok.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
attitude

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is a little off topic,Not far though. What about this:

I brewed an Altbier with Wyeast 1007 on sunday. In a week i will be brewing an Amber beer that called for Wyeast 1007.

Heres my question: Would it be okay to repitch on the yeast cake? and if so,Do i just leave a little of wort from the first beer and leave in my primary, then when i brew ,just repitch my new wort onto the yeast cake?

hope you all can follow this

Old 07-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The answer is yes.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #10
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I did it and my brew finished fermenting in<20hrs!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply