The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Not getting 5 or 5.5 gal into fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
BeerPressure
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Not getting 5 or 5.5 gal into fermenter

I am following the strike and sparge water volume exact according to beersmith and i always end up with either 4.5 or a hair under 5 gallons final volume going into my fermenter. Whats going on? am i boiling off too much? should i just do a 3rd batch sparge of a small volume and start with more wort?

My original gravities always hit near correct though. Today, i brewed the centennial blonde and my OG was 1.040 at 4.5 gal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

If you're not getting enough liquid, my guess is that you aren't taking the deadspace in the MLT into consideration. In the equipment profile, you can add the amount of deadspace you have, and Beersmith will increase the water you add to the MLT.

Beersmith works with the figures you give it. I had to play around with it for a while to get my correct boil off, my correct deadspace, etc, dialed into the program. Now, it's spot on with water amounts and strike temperatures!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Looks like you need to start with a higher preboil volume and adjust your efficiency down about 5 points (ie from 75 to 70)

This will cause you to use more grain, to compensate for the extra .5 gallons post boil.

Yoop is right, you will have losses in any system... mine is dialed in to within a few cups of water. I run my HLT and MLT dry during sparge, and my post boil volume is dead on.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll come at this from a different angle, cause it's not clear in the original post. Are you completely draining your boil kettle or is there some wort left? If there's some left I'll say it's a miss calculation of dead space in the boil kettle or hop absorption.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I siphoned half of the kettle into the bucket then when it was easier to lift i dumped all of the kettle into it.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Then you are boiling off more than your program is set for... so adjust your boil off in your program and drop your efficiency about 5 points, or you will undershoot you OG with the increased water volume

Old 01-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Then you are boiling off more than your program is set for... so adjust your boil off in your program and drop your efficiency about 5 points, or you will undershoot you OG with the increased water volume
Thanks, I will try that for the next brew. My boil off rate was set to 9% an hour, I will bump it up to 11%

Edit: I changed the values in beersmith in the recipes, and it has not affected the volumes of sparge water. Doesnt make sense to me.

Last edited by BeerPressure; 01-11-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 36

You're kidding, right? You're not going to just randomly set it. I mean to say, really.

You obviously know how much you've got in the kettle at the start of the boil and you obviously know how much you've got at the end of the boil. We're not talking calculus, here; it's fifth-grade arithmetic to figure out the percentage boiled off per hour.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 01-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQ3X View Post
You're kidding, right? You're not going to just randomly set it.

You obviously know how much you've got in the kettle at the start of the boil and you obviously know how much you've got at the end of the boil. We're not talking calculus, here; it's fifth-grade arithmetic to figure out the percentage boiled off per hour.

Cheers,

Bob
Actually I don't know exactly how much i have in my kettle before the boil, I don't have any measurements on the kettle. And I dont know the "5th grade arithmetic" for that. Christ all mighty, if youre just gonna come here to berate people who ask a question, then get the **** out of my thread.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
The Pol
Recipes 

Yeah, that response was not helpful at all.

If you are coming in .5 gallons SHY on a 5 gallon batch. Meaning you are about 10% off. You need to plan for about 10% more boil off. My keggle will boil off 19%, so your 9% is pretty low. May want to experiment with 15%, see if that increases your water requirement by about .5 gallons.

Quick Reply