Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Not entirely happy with my efficency!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #11
moorerm04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma99
Grasshopper! You are missing the point!
Efficiency is NOT important!
Consistency IS important!

Better to always hit 65% than to be all over the board!
If you are consistent, just add a bit more grain!
That is the problem... Consistency! I have been all over the place 71% once, 59% the next and anywhere in between. If I was within 2% every time and I was only getting 55% EVERY TIME. I would at least be able to know exactly where I was going to be with any given recipe. Like I said before I'm not asking you how to get high efficiency. I'm asking you how to get consistent!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #12
Echoloc8
Acolyte of Fermentalism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorerm04 View Post
Like I said before I'm not asking you how to get high efficiency. I'm asking you how to get consistent!
This is what happened in my thread. Several people assumed since I mentioned efficiency I wanted to go as high as possible when I wanted consistency first and foremost.

Then I got a few good comments on how to achieve consistency through ferreting out efficiency problems (well, specifically conversion issues), and it all started to make more sense.

-Rich
Kegged: Old Chub clone | Traditional Porter
On Deck: Bottling dammit!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoloc8

This is what happened in my thread. Several people assumed since I mentioned efficiency I wanted to go as high as possible when I wanted consistency first and foremost.

Then I got a few good comments on how to achieve consistency through ferreting out efficiency problems (well, specifically conversion issues), and it all started to make more sense.

-Rich
I noticed this in yours as well. I'm just not happy with planning a recipe for 70% and getting 60%. Or visa versa. I just want to be able to plan a recipe and brew day and hit my numbers.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
TrubDog
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I was consistently hitting 60-70% until I bought my BC. I now consistently hit 80-82%.

In my experience inconsistent milling = inconsistent efficiency.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
BigRedHopHead
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 57

For me early on I had the same issues with consistency using the LHBS mill. I bought and modified a Corona mill which helped solved the the crush issues. I was able to get 75-78% every time. I always felt like a jerk asking the LHBS to check their gap or double mill, it seemed to annoy them to have to do more work to make me happy.

Since Dec I have upgraded to a Monster Mill MM2 2.0 and use the Bru'n Water spreadsheet to adjust my water profile and keep pH levels around 5.4. This has helped improve efficiency to 85-88%. No stuck sparges. BTW I cooler mash and batch sparge once with no mashout ever. Single infusion. After reading Kaiser's work on mash thickness I have been mashing around 1.75 qt/lb - 2.0 qt/lb depending on the beer. This has helped reduced any chances of doughballs. I stir like crazy at the beginning and usually just a bit every 20 min of mash. Hope this helps!

Old 02-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

How do you mash in? do you pour your strike water in onto the grain, pour the grain into the water, or come in through the drain? inconsistencies with mash efficiencies can be the result of dough balls, or when parts of the grain dont get wet during the mash in. dough balls tend to form more readily when you pour the strike water on to the grain. its important to really get in to the mash and break up any dough balls that form. If you can, filling from the bottom through the grain is the best way to get a good even wetting and avoid forming of dough balls.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I add the strike water to my mash tun and then dough in slowly and stir the fire out if it while I'm adding grain. I know for sure I'm not getting dough balls. I really think it is because of the LHBS mill. I would rather have my own mill anyway so I'm going to get one And see if that helps.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #18
Hop_Hero
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

According to How to Brew you're supposed to add water to the grain not the other way around.

Primary: Belgian Wit
Secondary: Nada
Bottled: Arrogant Butthole, Arrogant Butthole on Oak and Chinook, Rebel Red (West Coast Red)
Next: Barley Wine

Old 02-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #19
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop_Hero View Post
According to How to Brew you're supposed to add water to the grain not the other way around.
It makes absolutely no difference. Do whichever works best for you.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 02-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #20
mojo_wire
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Second double crush. My efficency became much more consistent after I started doing that.

Too high an efficency is not a very good thing. I've gotten it in the 80s before and it didn't help my beer, just made it under hopped.

Quick Reply