Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Northern Brewer won't pricematch
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
frogman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Northern Brewer won't pricematch

I have been sitting on a gift certificate from NB for almost a year now. I got it last Christmas even know I asked for Brewmasters Warehouse gift certificates. Anyway, I put together an order with NB to use up the GC and it came in $21 bucks more then Brewmasters for the same products. I called NB and asked if they would match the price and the guys exact words were "No, we don't match prices, you might want to just buy from them".

Last edited by frogman; 09-27-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: cooled off after posting

Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Whatev. man. Ed is great and runs a super business. But if you think NB doesn't have some of the best customer service, products, and prices around your parents shone too much sunlight and rainbows up your arse.

They are both great companies. NB is my local store so I support them, but I have ordered from Brewmaster's Warehouse int he past and would not hesitate to do so again.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
frogman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey good for you pal, I'm glad you support NB, but it is what it is. Ed will match prices and NB won't. If I offended you buy my post Oh well, maybe I can shone some sunlight and rainbows up your arse.
The guy in the St. Paul store was very nice and help full, but when I was redirected to customer service the guy there was brief and to the point. I was also told if you come into the store they can work with you, but online they won't.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
DannyW
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I have had nothing but GREAT experiences from NB!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
frogman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW View Post
I have had nothing but GREAT experiences from NB!
So have I until today. After buying from them for 10 years now, I was surprised to hear them say "you might want to just buy from them".

Like I said before, the guys in the St. Paul store have always been great. But the customer service dept(Not the same as the guys in the store) could use some help.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Everyone has a bad day. You could have gotten this guy on his. You've had great service for the past 10 years and are banishing them from one bad experience. I order everything from BMW because I love the brew builder on his website and his flat shipping is $1 cheaper. But mostly because of the brew builder and his presence on these boards. Before he was around I ordered everything from Northern Brewer for 2 years. Always had a great experience. Whenever I can't get something from Ed, I go back to NB. I think it's a bad call to make them DEAD to you after 1 bad experience in 10 years.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 09-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
frogman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;2302333
Everyone has a bad day. You could have gotten this guy on his. You've had great service for the past 10 years and are banishing them from one bad experience. I order everything from BMW because I love the brew builder on his website and his flat shipping is $1 cheaper. But mostly because of the brew builder and his presence on these boards. Before he was around I ordered everything from Northern Brewer for 2 years. Always had a great experience. Whenever I can't get something from Ed, I go back to NB. I think it's a bad call to make them DEAD to you after 1 bad experience in 10 years.
IrregularPulse, you have a point. DEAD may have been a poor choice of words, I guess my anger got the best of me. Maybe I'll edit the title.

Last edited by frogman; 09-27-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Can someone show me the rulebook that SAYS a business has to match prices? Seems to me a business can do whatever the heck it wants and if we don't like it we can spend our money elsewhere. But we don't have to be d***s about it and bash them on a website. Especially a company that has been in business a long time, has a stellar reputation for customer service, great products and was one of the first online retailers of homebrew supplies. Just because they choose to do business one way over another. It's not like they are being unethical in their business practices and cheating people.

They are just not making you happy, but they aren't doing anything wrong.

Definitely uncool here on hbt.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I just don't like the reason. They have bad customer service because they don't price match? That isn't there policy, and they told you they can't match the price and suggested if you want that price to buy it from where you saw it. That is their business model, they list items for sale at a price they are willing to sell them for. How is it bad customer service not to lower their prices?

If you like BMW better then fine. There are reasons to favor one store over another like IP pointed out. But you must realize this is a big board with lots of readers. And Northern Brewer is a great place to buy supplies and equipment. I was just pointing out they have very good customer service and prices in general.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
munklunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I agree that price matching is not a good reason to hate on a company. Some choose to do it with the mindset that "more business is better than no business", but I would think that Northern Brewer does enough orders to justify their pricings.

Personally I switched from NB to Brewmasters about a year ago. BMW is cheaper, the brew builder is awesome, and they even save your custom built recipes so you can 1-click order in the future. Plus, if I'm feeling lazy, the crush they put on their grains has always given me great efficiency.

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post

I know one thing... if there's a depression and beer companies go out of business... I'm selling my homebrew.
Huckleberry Brewing

Pride of the Northside

Closed Thread

Quick Reply