Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Northern Brewer Grain is not looking so good

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #31
Beerfly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nope, I brewed many extract kits with steeping grains from them but switched this year to AG. Now I pay much more attention to details.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #32
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

I've had a couple "bad" crushes from NB, but you have to figure they are crushing for the average and most likely newer AG brewer and in a mass production. You wouldn't want to be posting how you always get a stuck sparge with their crush.
I had them crush mine knowing I would soon be getting a mill. I'd love to know the average number of AG batches before people buy a mill. I think I did three. For me, it was a hell of a lot better than using a rolling pin.

It's worth telling them, because they may not know it's a problem if they hired someone new, or the mill got loose.

I'll second or third that they have stellar customer service, and their packing is the best I've ever seen.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #33
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Let us know when they send you another batch of rye and wheat........they will BTW.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:21 AM   #34
TarheelBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My take-away from this thread is that Northern Brewer makes a lot of mistakes but that they do a great job of fixing them and are really polite to their customers.

I think it's great that they have such loyal customers that are so willing to defend them but I don't think I would order from them after this. Who wants to order there supplies, wait to receive them only to find they are somehow messed up and them wait on the fix? Not me. I think I'll just go to my LHBStore. They are really cool and if they make a mistake it can be fixed the se day. Also, I like to buy local.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:41 AM   #35
thisoneguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelBrew13
My take-away from this thread is that Northern Brewer makes a lot of mistakes but that they do a great job of fixing them and are really polite to their customers.
I've ordered from NB a bunch of times and never had a problem. I'm not just some NB slappy, either; I shop at my LHBS and at other online retailers, too. Don't let your takeaway from this thread be that they just make tons of mistakes.... try ordering from them once or twice and form your opinion based on your experience.

I also have a mill, so I never order crushed grains... that seems to be the easiest way to avoid the whole "the crush from the store sucked" problem.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #36
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm gonna update......since I can. I emailed Dan at Northern Brewer and he said that he heard from the OP and that the are taking care of the problem. I was curious since we haven't heard anything from the OP.......

Old 03-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #37
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, they are sending out new crushed grains. The interesting part was the PM I recieved from another member with the exact same problem. Seems he didn't want to post in this discussion because he was afraid of being bashed. I guess when the other forum members are either employees or stock holders of a company they hamper the discussion.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #38
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts

As a new AG brewer I appreciate a pictorial of grains that are incorrectly crushed. It helps me evaluate my grains when I crush them at the LHBS. Without that I would have nothing to compare with except the guy at the counter that telling me I don't need to double crush my grains. Now I know what to look for. I understand businesses reputations are at stake. Perhaps next time the OP should omit the vender name until initial correspondence has been made.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #39
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 52

My 2 cents: If you brew all grain, you must own your own mill or at least have regular access to a mill. This is not an option.

At this point you could re-mill this grain and get two batches out of it.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #40
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfly View Post
Yes, they are sending out new crushed grains. The interesting part was the PM I recieved from another member with the exact same problem. Seems he didn't want to post in this discussion because he was afraid of being bashed. I guess when the other forum members are either employees or stock holders of a company they hamper the discussion.
I don't think it's any type of conspiracy, I think most people here just realize that it's not cool to publicly call someone out on a mistake before giving them a chance to fix it. This isn't the "Northern Brewer Customer Support" forum.

You even admitted yourself that you shouldn't have singled out Northern Brewer, so why are you bringing it up again?

The reason so many people are defending Northern Brewer isn't because we all worship them, or work for them, or own a share in the company, it's because we've all had very positive experiences with them and they're known for their great customer service.

In general I think homebrewers in general are a rather happy/positive bunch. Negativity is a buzz kill! We're all in this hobby together, let's keep it positive

Quick Reply