Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Northern Brewer Grain is not looking so good

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #21
two_one_seven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

These are both from the same thread.......and the OP states "had grain from NB and LHBS and both had low efficiency and that he didn't think crush was the issue"

I believe you about your crush, I just don't believe there is some rash of issues with crush from NB. I have ordered 5 AG kits in the last 2 months. None have had any issues, but they also didn't have an non-husked grains in the grain bill.

Don't be so quick to post until they have tried to solve your issue. If you don't feel like you have had your problem solved come back and let us know. As I said before that's the the most important thing.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #22
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
having ordered from nb for years and worked with their customer service before, they will take care of you. It's just a shame when people post stuff like this without the store having a chance to make it right first. Yes they screwed up, but to publicly call them out without first giving them a chance to address the issue and make it right isn't cool. Yes they screwed up, but imho there's no need to "give everyone a head's up" that they screwed up. They'll take care of you.
+10000

Old 03-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #23
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_one_seven View Post
These are both from the same thread.......and the OP states "had grain from NB and LHBS and both had low efficiency and that he didn't think crush was the issue"

I believe you about your crush, I just don't believe there is some rash of issues with crush from NB. I have ordered 5 AG kits in the last 2 months. None have had any issues, but they also didn't have an non-husked grains in the grain bill.

Don't be so quick to post until they have tried to solve your issue. If you don't feel like you have had your problem solved come back and let us know. As I said before that's the the most important thing.....

Because I feel there is a concern with efficiency due to grain crush is the reason for the post. Some seem bent on making this out to be a personal attack, far from it. If mash efficiency wasn't such a big concern, there wouldn't be a guide at the beginning of this forum dealing with it. Ok, I apoligize for mentioning NB, I guess we need to keep everything generic. The point is, if you are having efficiency problems and your grains look like mine, that is a problem.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #24
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Funny but that grain doesn't look spent. What was your efficiency with that batch?

I guess we should sticky this thread since it's such a huge issue. Poor crush does lead to poor efficiency. Ordering grain from Northern Brewer doesn't. Just to be fair.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #25
OG2620
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorbock
no reason to post like this if you haven't even given them the chance to make it right.
+1

Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #26
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I disagree that there is no reason to post this. I think it should have been kept generic but I for one learned a couple key points from this thread about grains with no husks and what a bad crush looks like.

So, thanks for posting. And NB rocks. I had one experience where they screwed something up grain-wise and they were cool as sheet about it. Anybody writing off a merchant for a lousy pound of poorly milled grains will soon run out of places to order from.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #27
two_one_seven
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick View Post
I disagree that there is no reason to post this. I think it should have been kept generic but I for one learned a couple key points from this thread about grains with no husks and what a bad crush looks like.

So, thanks for posting. And NB rocks. I had one experience where they screwed something up grain-wise and they were cool as sheet about it. Anybody writing off a merchant for a lousy pound of poorly milled grains will soon run out of places to order from.

Good points all.

Back to brewing Citizens!!!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #28
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have not brewed with this yet. I was having an efficiency issue and went over my entire proceedure including accurate temps and water volumes. I started researching here at HBT and posts here kept repeating the importance of the crush. I double crushed my last grain bill at my LHBS and problem solved. I was placing an order at NB anyways so I got my grain from them this time. I was surprised at least 50% of the grains are untouched. I was not upset, I screw up on a daily basis, who am I to judge. I really wanted to touch on the subject of grind NOT bash NB. I have sent many friends their way over the years and even buy kits for Christmas gifts from them. I like NB.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #29
two_one_seven
Recipes 

So you haven't even used NB grains before???? Interesting indeed. Yeah you would have done better with a generic post like "I think I got a bad crush"

Then you wouldn't be getting all the attack flak......

Old 03-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #30
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 500 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfly View Post
I just got my order from Northern Brewer. Here is a picture of a handful of my rye malt and white wheat malt. Labeled right on the bags "crushed". It's no wonder why the mash efficiency people are reporting is so low.
This is why I say that people should not do all-grain without owning their own grain mill. This kind of thing happens all the freaking time, with online mail order houses and with local homebrew stores. For as little as $50, you could own your own Corona mill and not have to worry about someone else doing a proper job of milling your grains, and any grains you have left over will last a heck of a lot longer than if you buy pre-milled.

There's a lot of places where you can cut corners in brewing, but milling your own grain should not be one of them.

Quick Reply