Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Northern Brewer Grain is not looking so good

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #141
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
The best test to determine is something is irony is to see if a magnet will stick to it. Works!

Except for many stainless steels, which are quite, although not fully, irony, yet not magnetic. Again, the test for "is it ironic" is not foolproof! ARGH!!

Fake it til you make it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #142
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd View Post
I would go with ironic. considered rationally, one would not expect someone who disliked complaining to complain. Ergo, complaining about complaining is ironic. The literal meaning that one ought not complain is contrasted against the fact that the speaker is in fact complaining.
Now you're just being pedantic.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #143
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
Now you're just being pedantic.
Oh, the irony!

Fake it til you make it.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:49 AM   #144
watersr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd

Except for many stainless steels, which are quite, although not fully, irony, yet not magnetic. Again, the test for "is it ironic" is not foolproof! ARGH!!
Add to that the fact that nickel is magnetic and not at all irony. Now that's ironic.

Burn the village, then drink the beer!

Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #145
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Old 08-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #146
jhoyda
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Well, I see this thread went off on quite a tangent. Not only am I going to dredge it back up, but also bring it back on topic.

First the good:
I ordered an all-grain kit and a 16 oz bottle of Star San from Northern Brewer. I received a box coated with about 8 oz of Star San, yes half leaked out. It looked like the top of the bottle was smashed against something, puncturing the foil seals and unseating the threads enough to allow leakage.

I spent 3 minutes using the online chat, explained what happened and told them I only needed an 8 oz bottle since half was still in the original bottle. The customer service rep said she could send either an 8 oz or 16 oz, I told her to surprise me. UPS drops off the box 2 days later, 16 oz bottle. I have enough sanitizer for 2 years

Now the bad:
It looks like they are still having the same problems with crush. I received my grain and it looked only very lightly crushed. It had the slightest amount of flour in the bottom of the bag, all the husks were still intact. I have two kids under 3, so my brew days are planned well in advance so working in a 2 hour trip to the LHBS is out of the question. I brewed. . . . . . and got 50% efficiency. I discovered this thread after brewing so I did not take pictures, but the grain looked exactly like the pictures in the first post. I hope Mr Farley is still reading this thread.

In the future I will certainly add comments to the remarks section of my order asking for double milling or set the mill at 0.020" or both.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #147
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I think crush problems at Northern Brewer are just a fact of life. I quit buying from them in 2008 after my shipment of grains was poorly crushed and led to a 59% efficiency. Perhaps they'll eventually change their philosophy to crushing, because I'd certainly like to have them as an option.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #148
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethepoolguy View Post
Either get your own grain mill or forget about all your other toys and go back to bring extract or else you will never know what you are doing no matter how good you are.
Complete and total BS!!! So, which mill manufacturer do you work for?

The same could be said for not growing/malting/roasting your own grains or growing your own hops and doing the AA analysis yourself or not brewing with distilled water and altering the minerals yourself.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #149
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
Complete and total BS!!! So, which mill manufacturer do you work for?...
+1. If they're going to mill the grain, they should do it right.

I'm also surprised that asking for double-milling is considered acceptable. So I have to give them "Special Instructions" to do their job correctly? That's a hoot.

Or alternatively, we're supposed to break out a rolling pin and hump it all morning to fix their problem? Puuulease.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #150
OG2620
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Earlier this month I brewed NB's Oktoberfest AG kit with pre-milled grains and obtained an efficiency of 83%. I do not have a picture of the grains because at the time that I received them, they appeared to be what I expected and similar to what I achieve on my BC with the gap set to 0.035. For the record, I got the grains pre-milled because I forgot to order them unmilled.

So, put me in the satisfied category. I don't get why others claim such poor efficiencies, but then again, those people tend not to post any other aspects of their process for scrutiny. All I know is that "poor crush" is not the only factor which can affect efficiency.

Quick Reply