Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Northern Brewer Blog says you shouldn't Vorlauf.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1514 Times on 1438 Posts
Likes Given: 52721

Default Northern Brewer Blog says you shouldn't Vorlauf.

http://northernbrewer.blogspot.com/2...should-do.html

Discuss...
"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Everyone does things a little differently when they brew, so articles/blogs like this are pretty common. Using HSA as an argument against a vorlauf seems pretty weak to me though.

I do agree on the author's other point, though. I never rehydrate dry yeast. I've never seen a real benefit in either attenuation, flavor/aroma profile or fermentation, so I deemed it unnecessary for me.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
ThreeTaps
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

So, with this you would conclude that rehydration of dry yeast is not a step worth taking? It's all I've ever done, but then again I've never -not- rehydrated, so I don't know the difference. I'm doing a Blonde next week (brew, that is...but my wife is blonde hah) so maybe I should try not rehydrating my nottingham. Think that's a wise decision?

Sorry to hijack the thread on vorlauf...which I love doing, so I'll continue.

EDIT:
After reading the article, I'm a little confused. As far as rehydrating yeast, are they recommending that you take some of your cooling wort and rehydrate with that, THEN pitch? Or simply pitch dry yeast on top in the primary without aerating (which I'm pretty certain is a necessary step)? In regards to the vorlauf part, I believe they're focusing on minimizing the fatty acid removal in US grains rather than HSA effects. What do you all think about not vorlaufing, for example, US 2-row? I've brewed with that stuff at least 6 times and every time I vorlaufed, and every batch tasted fantastic and had great yeast activity and everything else.

Bottle Conditioning / Drinking: Pumpkin Spice Ale, Cherry Wheat Ale, Bee Cave IPA, EdWort's Apfelwein.
R.I.P.: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Pecan Scottish Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Blonde Ale.

RDWHAHB
Brewing Since August 17, 2009
Have a BlackBerry? Download the HBT launcher here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs
You definitely win my award for "Most Enthusiastic New Brewer".

Last edited by ThreeTaps; 05-28-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
kryolla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeTaps View Post
So, with this you would conclude that rehydration of dry yeast is not a step worth taking? It's all I've ever done, but then again I've never -not- rehydrated, so I don't know the difference. I'm doing a Blonde next week (brew, that is...but my wife is blonde hah) so maybe I should try not rehydrating my nottingham. Think that's a wise decision?

lallemand the maker of nottingham recommends rehydrating

Old 05-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
mkorpal
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeTaps View Post

EDIT:
After reading the article, I'm a little confused. As far as rehydrating yeast, are they recommending that you take some of your cooling wort and rehydrate with that, THEN pitch? Or simply pitch dry yeast on top in the primary without aerating (which I'm pretty certain is a necessary step)? In regards to the vorlauf part, I believe they're focusing on minimizing the fatty acid removal in US grains rather than HSA effects. What do you all think about not vorlaufing, for example, US 2-row? I've brewed with that stuff at least 6 times and every time I vorlaufed, and every batch tasted fantastic and had great yeast activity and everything else.
I believe they are implying that you just sprinkle on top of your wort. However, you should still aerate. They are saying that you simply don't need to stir the yeast in. I actually do it this way and it works just fine. The only times I rehydrate yeast is if I'm making a mead.

Primary: Exam Brown Ale
Primary: Unknown Mead
Secondary: Matt's Saison
Carbing: Raspberry Apple Cider 333
Enjoying: Lazy Ass Orange Pale Ale, Belgian Grand Cru, Belgian Dubble, Cherry Stout, Demonstration IPA

On Deck: Black IPA

Old 05-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1942 Times on 1404 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

I think the chances of any detectable problems caused by HSA is extremely small, as long as you are careful. I have no knowledge of lipids, and their being affected by vorlaufing.

As far as rehydrating, both Danstar and Fermentiis websites recommend rehydrating. Fermentiis advises rehydrating in either water or wort. Danstar recommends water.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Almost seems like that blog post is just to stir up some ****. Their reasoning is very, very weak with no regard for the reasons those practices are in place. Let's see, is it better to strip some of the FAN or to kill half your yeast? Is it better to filter out some of the fatty acids or to end up boiling a bunch of husk material? Give me a break

Old 05-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

RE: vorlauf
The reason they give is that it strips fatty acids out that the yeast need. I find it hard to believe that vorlaufing a quart or so of a 5 gallon batch strips so much fatty acids that the yeast suffer.

Also, if what they say is true then wouldn't all the RIMS/HERMS brewers be stripping those fatty acids during their entire recirculation?

Quote:
I believe they are implying that you just sprinkle on top of your wort. However, you should still aerate.
When using dry yeast you don't need to aerate.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 05-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1942 Times on 1404 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
RE: vorlauf
The reason they give is that it strips fatty acids out that the yeast need. I find it hard to believe that vorlaufing a quart or so of a 5 gallon batch strips so much fatty acids that the yeast suffer.

Also, if what they say is true then wouldn't all the RIMS/HERMS brewers be stripping those fatty acids during their entire recirculation?

Say what??

Old 05-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
mkorpal
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post

Why is that. There is no difference between liquid and dry yeast other than cell count. So, why would you not need to aerate a dry yeast when you would with a liquid yeast after making a starter. Maybe there is something I am missing?

Primary: Exam Brown Ale
Primary: Unknown Mead
Secondary: Matt's Saison
Carbing: Raspberry Apple Cider 333
Enjoying: Lazy Ass Orange Pale Ale, Belgian Grand Cru, Belgian Dubble, Cherry Stout, Demonstration IPA

On Deck: Black IPA

Quick Reply