The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > northern brewer all grain kit - patersbier

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
nootay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default northern brewer all grain kit - patersbier

One of my friends bought me this kit for my birthday. I was planning on doing an oatmeal stout for my first all grain batch, but given that this will have milled grains, ill probably do this one first. Here are the instructions:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/docume...Patersbier.pdf

This uses terms im not familiar with such as protein rest, beta sacch rest, alpha sacch rest, etc.

Putting those terms aside, i believe i should be doing mash schedule B with my equipment (10 gallon MLT, 10 gallon brew pot) as i will be doing batch sparging. Im guessing their instructions translates to mash at 147 for 60 minutes, then sparge at 170 for 10 minutes? just want to make sure the saach rest isnt something completely different.

Also has anyone made this beer? This page says its ready in 6 weeks, but the pdf says 6 months. im assuming this is a typo.

On deck: pale ale
CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
dingusmingus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks like a nice recipe.

Schedule B is a straight-forward single-infusion mash, and that's what I'd do if I made this beer. As you say, aim for a rest temp of 147.

"'Sacch Rest" means saccharification rest, which is a mash stage that converts starch to sugar.

Schedule A shows two different Sacch rests, which each aim to promote the two main types of enzymes that do the conversion of starch to sugar, alpha- and beta-amylase.

More info here, for starters:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-5.html

Again, the main point is that you're right, and a single infusion at 147 should do a great job.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

excellent, thanks for the reply! i figured i was right, but just wanted to make sure

On deck: pale ale
CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply