The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > North German Alt Recipe help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 02:48 AM   #1
ColoradoHomebrew
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default North German Alt Recipe help

I just finished a north German Alt beer and it is great but I am not sure it is true to style. I based my recipie off the Book Brewing Classic styles and it turned out nutty but good. And I mean nutty like a Moose Drool from Big Sky Brewery if you've had that. Any comments would help since I've never had a north german alt. I've brewed 3 dusseldorf alts and been thrilled with those and this is so different.

5.5 gallons

7.75 Pils
1.5 Munich I
.5 Crystal 80
3 oz. pale chocolate

1oz Northern brewer 60min
1oz Northern brewer 2 min

Last edited by ColoradoHomebrew; 08-11-2011 at 02:50 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
Boleslaus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Looks like a great alt recipe, what OG and FG?

Watch me leap through this hoop!

My current line-up:

Fermenter 1: Altbier

Old 08-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #3
yetanothersteve
Recipes 

Nothing wrong with that recipe.

If you want to read about just Alt, I can highly recommend Horst Dornbusch's "Altbier: History, Brewing Techniques, Recipes (Classic Beer Style) "
And you will see that Alt is all over the place in recipe terms. Some have wheat, some are very dark, some are higher in alcohol than others.

Removing the Crystal 80L and replacing with a Caramunich of around 75L would also be appropriate. As would using a Carafa malt of around 450L instead of the chocolate.

Some things I do not own: hydrometer, wort chiller.

Some things I do own: 2 stainless steel conical fermenters, stainless brewpot with welded ports for ball valve and thermometer, refractometer.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
Boleslaus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanothersteve View Post
Nothing wrong with that recipe.

If you want to read about just Alt, I can highly recommend Horst Dornbusch's "Altbier: History, Brewing Techniques, Recipes (Classic Beer Style) "
And you will see that Alt is all over the place in recipe terms. Some have wheat, some are very dark, some are higher in alcohol than others.

Removing the Crystal 80L and replacing with a Caramunich of around 75L would also be appropriate. As would using a Carafa malt of around 450L instead of the chocolate.
The chocolate is the only "out of style" grain. I agree thats probably why its so nutty.

Watch me leap through this hoop!

My current line-up:

Fermenter 1: Altbier

Old 08-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
ColoradoHomebrew
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'll need to get that book, because I do like messing around with alts. I'll try using the carafa next time. I was in Germany last month and had an Alt Frankische Dunkel which was also really good.

Quick Reply