The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > No Sparge (NOT BIAB)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
MBM30075
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No Sparge (NOT BIAB)

I like the control I have over a batch of all grain. It allows me to go cheaper, but still turn out quality beer. It also allows me to really fine-tune what taste I want. What I don't like is how long and involved the process is. I recently did an all-extract batch on my stove and was reminded how fun and quick brewing can be.

So, with that in mind, I was toying with ideas of how to simplify all-grain brewing. I know that the idea I came up with causes decreased efficiency (which, in turn, drives the price of a batch up), but I'm wondering what other consequences (good and bad) occur as a result.

So, I was brewing a simple Bavarian Hefeweizen.

Ingredients:
5 lb. Belgian 2-Row
5 lb. German Wheat
.5 lb. Munich
.5 oz. Tettnang (3.8%)
Danstar German Wheat yeast

I have a 5 gallon Home Depot water cooler that I use as my mash tun. I doughed in with 3.5 gallons water. My mash temperature started at 154 and ended 60 minutes later at 152.5. I re-circulated several quarts of wort until I had reduced the particles a good bit, but still didn't have clear wort. So, I ended up passing the runnings through a filter into my boil kettle. I don't yet have a good way to measure large volumes of liquid (I'm working on it!), so I'm not sure exactly what volume of wort I drew off. I added 3 gallons of water to the kettle and began my boil as usual.

I ended up with somewhere between 3.5 and 4 gallons of wort at the end of my boil. I expected an efficiency of about 50%, and if I got 4 gallons of wort at the end, then I hit my target OG of 1.049.

Sweet wort tasted good; color was right on; activity commenced within 4 hours of pitching.

I know that my efficiency suffered, but I'm OK with that, especially considering that this brew still only cost $22. If I get 4 gallons of nice hefe, I will consider this a victory!

I'm wondering (besides waste) what other consequences there are to this technique. Obviously, I couldn't create a very high-gravity batch using this setup, although I'm considering a 2nd mash tun, which would allow me to mash up to about 28 pounds of grain. So, I get that I'm not maximizing my efficiency, but what does that do?

I've heard that this will result in a maltier, richer beer. Since I know you can over-sparge and get tannins and other undesirables in your wort, is this a "safer" route? Does sparging pull out anything else that my method misses?

One more question: When I cleaned out my mash tun and removed the grains and false bottom, it became very clear that my false bottom had not done a very good job; I had about 50%+ of my dead space filled with grain! If this is the case, am I wasting time and effort using the false bottom? Should I just forget the false bottom and send my wort through a filter into my brew pot? That would speed up the time from when I crack the spigot to when I'm done draining, right?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm just curious why you think adding 3 gallons of water directly to the kettle is that much easier than dumping that into the mash tun after your first draining. 50% efficiency for the sake of higher quality wort seems really wasteful. You're not going to oversparge with a single batch sparge.

I don't see any benefit to using a false bottom if you're not fly sparging. A stainless braid works great for what you're doing.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 09-14-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
MBM30075
Recipes 

To add those 3 gallons properly, I need to add another pot and have that water heating while I'm draining my mash. Plus, there's additional time of about an hour if I want to do the sparge correctly, according to what I read on here.

Simpler + Quicker + Higher Quality Wort = Worth it (for me)

At least, I'm thinking so.

As for the braid, I'm not sure I can use it. I've currently got a setup where my drain is a standard brew bucket spigot made of nylon. I don't think the SS braid will hook into this. If I run the wort through a bucket-top mesh filter, wouldn't this have the set net effect? I've heard HSA isn't a concern for homebrewers. Is this true? (I ask because it seems that the splashing of the wort into the brew kettle will aerate it and COULD introduce HSA, if it's a problem to worry about).

Thanks!

Last edited by MBM30075; 09-14-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Clarification

Old 09-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Fly sparging takes a little while longer but not batch sparging. You'd actually be better off taking 3 gallons of warm/hot tap water and stirring that into your grain for a sparge than adding it to the brew pot. In fact, adding cold water sparge would be better than not at all. It's not more complicated or time consuming and I'd put "lightly" sparged wort against no sparge any day.

If I'm not mistaken, a bucket spigot uses regular 1/2" NPT threads. Bring it with you to Lowes/HD and see if you can put a 1/2" female NPT to 1/2" hose barb fitting on there. Then use a hose clamp to attach the braid.

You could run it through a strainer but it's not going to hold all the grain in one shot.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
MBM30075
Recipes 

But how much grain will actually come out? If I do a reasonable speed of draining, wouldn't the bucket-top filter be enough to catch the stray grains? (I'm going to check on the braid, though).

Cold water sparge... just grab whatever sugars are left behind by the mash and easily picked up by a rinse?

Old 09-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

That's pretty much the point of sparging in all cases. I see what you're saying about trying to pour the liquid off the mash but you'll get a lot more wort out by letting it gravity drain out of the grain.

New Stuff?

Old 09-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
MBM30075
Recipes 

I don't think you do see what I'm saying.

When I drain my mash, I use the spigot at the bottom of the tun. If I do that without using either a false bottom or a braid, how much grain will exit the bottom of the tun (i.e., through the spigot)? If it's a relatively small amount, then couldn't I just pass this stream through a bucket-top filter on its way into my kettle to filter out the grain husks and particles? That way, almost all of the grain is still in my mash tun and ready for the warm water sparge. Also, that way I don't have to purchase another expensive piece of equipment (SS braid at my LHBS is $30+).

See now? I'm draining, not pouring off.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5976 Times on 5247 Posts
Likes Given: 670

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM30075 View Post

SS braid at my LHBS is $30+
you can get one at Lowe's for a few dollars....

Old 09-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
MBM30075
Recipes 

Plumbing section?

Old 09-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5976 Times on 5247 Posts
Likes Given: 670

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM30075 View Post
Plumbing section?
yes, but make sure it's all SS! Some of the synthetic ones may look SS, but check the label.

check out this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/

Quick Reply