New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > No sparge extraction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
dwtalley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No sparge extraction

I have done two batches as a no sparge brew. I increased my grain bill by 30% on each of them and used 1.25 qts lb in one and 1.5 qts lb in the other. When I drained the mash tun completely and took a gravity reading I got over 1.090 on both. In fact 1.097 on the last batch done with 1.5 qts lb. Everything I have read says I should not get this type of efficiency. I am using a refractometer (yes I calibrated it). What gives here?

20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didnt do than by the things you did. So cast off your bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you mashing at that water/grist ratio and then topping off in your boil kettle to get your pre boil volume? Your first runnings will be the same gravity regardless if you sparge or not, all things being equal. Typically, no sparge involves mashing with the entire volume of water and recirculating the mash. The sweet wort reaches an equilibrium where no more extraction occurs. The remaing sugars, which would otherwise require a sparge to extract from the mash, remain locked in the mash after the first and only runnings. This is where the reduced efficiency comes from. A 30% increase in grain bill is quite a bit. I typically only need to bump up the grain bill by 10% or so to hit my intended gravities.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
dwtalley
Recipes 

OK, maybe I am mixing things up. I have been topping my boil volume to meet the amount needed. Is this a "wrong" way of doing it or should I put the total volume of water needed in the mash and go that route? Obvious noob to the no sparge thing, sorry.

20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didnt do than by the things you did. So cast off your bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
dwtalley
Recipes 

I guess I should ask is there a benefit/cost to doing it either way?

Old 07-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I have not looked into no sparge, but, right in your description of your process is a cost factor. You are using 30% more grain! So a 30% increase in grain cost.

If recirculating the wort through the mash I don't see any point in it. It doesn't seem to save any time or labor. And it seems the result is the same.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtalley View Post
I guess I should ask is there a benefit/cost to doing it either way?
That's a good question. IMO, rather than just topping off, I would at least run the remaining water through the grain with your process. I think it was Kai on here that experimentally proved a cold sparge works. You would most probably get better efficiency than a traditional no sparge.

I've been mashing with nearly the entire volume needed, save about a gallon in my brew kettle to keep the pump primed. I bump my recipe grain bill up about 10% and that's it. It's simple, and it works for me. I figure a couple of pounds of grain per batch is a small price for a two-vessel system and a little time saving from not sparging.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
dwtalley
Recipes 

Actually there is about an hour of time savings as I do not fly sparge in this scenario. There is a cost increase for the grain (my base malts are purchased by the bag so cost increase is very minimal). What I am trying to figure out is should I mash with the typical 1.25 to 1.5 qts lb grain or mash with total water needed for the end result and is there a benefit of either way?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
Catawampus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It usually doesn't take 30% more grain. I brew no-sparge, no mash out and and 10% is more accurate on the average as Reelale says. As for me, I don't recirculate, don't heat sparge water, and don't have to take extra measures (pH, gravity), etc. So, I personally save a good bit of time doing no-sparge. Finally, I think no-sparge lends a tad extra maltiness to my beers over conventional batch-sparging. This may not be important for most beers, but I brew mostly German styles where that matters.

"You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are." - Colonel Adolphus Busch

corax Likes This 
Old 07-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Using the whole volume in the mash will be more efficient than a reduced volume with kettle water top up. The reason is that the overall gravity is lower and therefore the fixed volume of liquid that stays absorbed in the grain will be a lower gravity. This matters more when you're not using a grain bag. Grain bags tend to drain more fully when lifted out in a BIAB type brew.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 07-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
dwtalley
Recipes 

Bobby,
Thank you for that input. I will try doing it that way today. We shall see...lol

Quick Reply