The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > No more SWMBO...got birthday cash!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 09:21 PM   #11
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewpastor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Corrales, New Mexico
Posts: 4,580
Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts

Default

All-Grain is the life. The world has become a fuller and brighter place with another convert. Welcome to the darkside.

__________________
Before I learned to brew I was poor, sober and lonely. Now I am just poor.
Brewpastor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #12
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewpastor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Corrales, New Mexico
Posts: 4,580
Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts

Default

Do something like an ordinary bitter or a mild so you can be drinking it quickly and have a great yeast slurry for the next brew.

__________________
Before I learned to brew I was poor, sober and lonely. Now I am just poor.
Brewpastor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #13
98EXL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
98EXL's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,283
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
All-Grain is the life. The world has become a fuller and brighter place with another convert. Welcome to the darkside.

So I signed up early march...first brew was April 1st.....I knew before April 1st it was only a matter of time before I was doing AG...I just wanted a solid foundation first...and to make sure this was something I wanted to continue to do forever....and my friends ALSO agree


EDIT: I live for the darkside, and I want to be an EAC like in other hobbys of my life Double Grin
__________________

I'm back!!!

98EXL is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #14
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewpastor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Corrales, New Mexico
Posts: 4,580
Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts

Default

I posted this recipe yesterday. Pretty straight forward...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...542#post408542

__________________
Before I learned to brew I was poor, sober and lonely. Now I am just poor.
Brewpastor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 PM   #15
98EXL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
98EXL's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,283
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
I posted this recipe yesterday. Pretty straight forward...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...542#post408542

So lets see how well A) I can read, and B) Comprehend what I need to do here:

I get the shopping list: 8.25 of grain, split between 1# Biscuit Malt, 7# Pale Malt(2-row), and 1/4# Crystal 75L......

Hops, yeah, duh, ok, but the hairy part....what to do with my almost newly constructed MLT.....

how much water of what temp to mash with? 2.5 gallons at 160dF something for how long? This is where I can't read recipes for crap
__________________

I'm back!!!

98EXL is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #16
PseudoChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PseudoChef's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Posts: 3,418
Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default Here ya go bud:

So if you're using a converted 10 gal cooler, this is what I'd do.

You have 8.25 lbs grain (don't forget to get it milled!) that is roughly around room temperature, 70 degrees. (EDIT: BP's posted recipe only calls for 6.75 lbs of grain after reading thoroughly...where'd you get 8.5 from? Either way, with the calc I provide, it'll be a cinch changing it up, you can do that for practice!

BP says to mash at 154 degrees F at a ratio of 1.10 qts of water per pound of grain. Therefore, 8.25 lbs * 1.1 qts = 9.075 qts or roughly 2.27 gallons (4 quarts in a gallon).

I use this calculator for my strike temps. If your grain is 70 degrees F, you're mashing at 154 degrees F at 1.10 qts per pound, your strike temp will be 172 degrees. The grist is going to act as a buffer and lower the temp of the water immediately when added. This is why you SHOULD NOT strike AT strike temp, i.e. add 154 degree water to mash at 154.

Pre-heating your mash-tun is important, you can do 1 of 2 things:

1) Boil a couple of gallons of water, dump in your MLT, swirl around, wait 15 minutes, and throw it out.

2) Bring your 2.27 gallons of water up to around 180, dump it in your MLT , and allow the temp to drop to 172, then add the grist. This is what I do with good results.

Mash for an hour, stirring once at 30 minutes.

You then want to perform a mash-out at 168 degrees
Using the Rest Calculator from the link above, you will add 3.4 quarts of BOILING water to the mash. Stir, and rest for 10 minutes.

Now, you want to lauter. This is getting the sweet wort out of the tun. Open your valve and drain the first 3/4 gallon or into a pitcher or something. You want to add this back to the MLT because it won't have passed through the grain filter bed as well as the rest of the wort. This is called the vorlauf. After this, drain the rest of the wort into your boil kettle.

The Sparge:

Sparge amount is usually 1.5 times the Mash amount. So 9.075 * 1.5 = ~13.6 quarts or 3.4 gallons. You can either sparge once or twice, there are varying opinions. If you sparge twice, simply divide 3.4 by 2 = 1.7. Heat your 3.4 gallons of water to 170 and add to the mash. Drain into the brew kettle that contains the mash drainage.

When you've collected everything, it's time to take a hydro reading for your notes.

Boil, hop, chill, aerate (more than for an extract batch!!!!!!), and pitch yeast as normal.

HTH

__________________

Last edited by PseudoChef; 10-17-2007 at 10:18 PM.
PseudoChef is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2007, 10:34 PM   #17
Buford
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Buford's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,415
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
All-Grain is the life. The world has become a fuller and brighter place with another convert. Welcome to the darkside.
Naah, all-grain is the lightside. You can't make very pale beer with extracts!
__________________
Flying Dutchman Unlimited Ale Works
Buy my crap!


FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion
Buford is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #18
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RLinNH's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wrentham, MA
Posts: 969
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

I'm currently converting all my gear over to AG Also, and this thread has me wanting to brew my first AG earlier then I planned. I was going to brew my first AG Batch on Veterans day weekend, but the weekend of the 27th is starting to look pretty goooooda...



Let us know how your first AG went.

__________________
You Can Give A Man A Fish and Feed Him For a Day, or You Can Teach Him To Fly Fish And Spoil Him For Life

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock
RLinNH is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2007, 11:24 PM   #19
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Joppatowne, MD
Posts: 4,312
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Damn, brewing the first night you build your mash tun. That's hella shweet.

Call me if you need me to help out. Hopefully you remember what we did last time around!

__________________

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-p...ew-day-195534/

jezter6 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2007, 04:58 AM   #20
98EXL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
98EXL's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,283
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
So if you're using a converted 10 gal cooler, this is what I'd do.

You have 8.25 lbs grain (don't forget to get it milled!) that is roughly around room temperature, 70 degrees. (EDIT: BP's posted recipe only calls for 6.75 lbs of grain after reading thoroughly...where'd you get 8.5 from? Either way, with the calc I provide, it'll be a cinch changing it up, you can do that for practice!

BP says to mash at 154 degrees F at a ratio of 1.10 qts of water per pound of grain. Therefore, 8.25 lbs * 1.1 qts = 9.075 qts or roughly 2.27 gallons (4 quarts in a gallon).

I use this calculator for my strike temps. If your grain is 70 degrees F, you're mashing at 154 degrees F at 1.10 qts per pound, your strike temp will be 172 degrees. The grist is going to act as a buffer and lower the temp of the water immediately when added. This is why you SHOULD NOT strike AT strike temp, i.e. add 154 degree water to mash at 154.

Pre-heating your mash-tun is important, you can do 1 of 2 things:

1) Boil a couple of gallons of water, dump in your MLT, swirl around, wait 15 minutes, and throw it out.

2) Bring your 2.27 gallons of water up to around 180, dump it in your MLT , and allow the temp to drop to 172, then add the grist. This is what I do with good results.

Mash for an hour, stirring once at 30 minutes.

You then want to perform a mash-out at 168 degrees
Using the Rest Calculator from the link above, you will add 3.4 quarts of BOILING water to the mash. Stir, and rest for 10 minutes.

Now, you want to lauter. This is getting the sweet wort out of the tun. Open your valve and drain the first 3/4 gallon or into a pitcher or something. You want to add this back to the MLT because it won't have passed through the grain filter bed as well as the rest of the wort. This is called the vorlauf. After this, drain the rest of the wort into your boil kettle.

The Sparge:

Sparge amount is usually 1.5 times the Mash amount. So 9.075 * 1.5 = ~13.6 quarts or 3.4 gallons. You can either sparge once or twice, there are varying opinions. If you sparge twice, simply divide 3.4 by 2 = 1.7. Heat your 3.4 gallons of water to 170 and add to the mash. Drain into the brew kettle that contains the mash drainage.

When you've collected everything, it's time to take a hydro reading for your notes.

Boil, hop, chill, aerate (more than for an extract batch!!!!!!), and pitch yeast as normal.

HTH

Ok, most of that makes sense....however, the only problem I see as of now is the 30 quart boil kettle...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezter6
Damn, brewing the first night you build your mash tun. That's hella shweet.

Call me if you need me to help out. Hopefully you remember what we did last time around!
no brewing tonight....just got the non-leaking MLT built....now I have concerns about the size of my kettle, and then I have to get cracking on a IC
__________________

I'm back!!!

98EXL is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cash Crop HossTheGreat Home Brewing Photo Forum 6 10-20-2009 10:59 PM
Cash for Clunkers Yooper General Chit Chat 126 08-12-2009 01:14 AM
What SWMBO got me for my birthday..... aryiman General Chit Chat 4 10-14-2008 06:38 PM
SWMBO birthday request (fruit hefe) amishland Recipes/Ingredients 8 04-09-2008 05:12 PM
here's a dream for someone with cash! Nwcw2001 Equipment/Sanitation 7 12-30-2005 04:58 AM