Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > No, it's not chill haze.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 02:54 AM   #1
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default No, it's not chill haze.

I just kegged my second beer that had a haze problem from brewing till gone. It never settles out. This particular beer has been in the fermenter for 2 months, and is still hazy. I have never had this problem before, except for the batch before last, and this batch. I haven't changed my process, and my beers are usually exceedingly clear. The flavor is effected, it's slightly yeasty, but otherwise good. This is driving me nuts!

Any ideas?

Corrupt Brewers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2008, 03:03 AM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 21

More information is required to give any type of rational answer. Can you let us know recipe, yeast, techniques, temperatures, etc? If I had to guess I'd say it was an infection of wild yeast or bacteria.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:39 AM   #3
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Both were AG IPAs.

10-12 Lbs 2-row, couple lbs of spec. grains, lots of hops with many late editions. I mash my IPAs at 154-155 F for 60 min, and batch sparge. Both used Safale S-05 Dry yeast. I clean with TSP, and sanitize with Iodophor, following prescribed methods for both, though nothing has changed in my technique.

Wild yeast/contamination was a thought, though the first batch was quite quafable, and (so far) so is the second batch that has been effected by this problem.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 02-21-2008, 03:48 AM   #4
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea
Both were AG IPAs.

10-12 Lbs 2-row, couple lbs of spec. grains, lots of hops with many late editions. I mash my IPAs at 154-155 F for 60 min, and batch sparge. Both used Safale S-05 Dry yeast. I clean with TSP, and sanitize with Iodophor, following prescribed methods for both, though nothing has changed in my technique.

Wild yeast/contamination was a thought, though the first batch was quite quafable, and (so far) so is the second batch that has been effected by this problem.
Nothing stands out in your specifics, everything looks OK. I'm going to stay with my original guess of an infection, especially since you said in the first post that the beer tasted "yeasty". If there are any phenolic or Belgian beer flavors then that would almost certainly be the case. Most of the Safale products drop like a rock so if there is suspended yeast in the brew after all this time it is probably a wild one. Since you also used "lots" of hops there could also be some hop particulates and tannins from all of that vegetable matter. If so most of that will continue to settle slowly so you could continue to wait things out and also get the temp down if possible.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #5
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Did you have any white wheat in the recipes? They can leave a haze.
The only other thing I can think of would be that the yeast MFG got some Hefewizen yeast in the package. Not likely though. LOL

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 02-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1058 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 28

My IPAs are much slower at clearing than the rest and even when they do, it's not brilliant. I think it has a lot to do with large late hop additions and especially when dry hopping.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 02-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
ohiodad

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
My IPAs are much slower at clearing than the rest and even when they do, it's not brilliant. I think it has a lot to do with large late hop additions and especially when dry hopping.
I agree with Bobby.. Hard time clearing up those IPAs because of the hops! I think the dry hopping is what does it. I call it a hop haze... Even many of the commercial IPAs have a haze when you pour them.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Cold crash that bad boy. 40ish degrees for 7-10 days and I bet it would be nice and clear.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
FSR402

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodad
I agree with Bobby.. Hard time clearing up those IPAs because of the hops! I think the dry hopping is what does it. I call it a hop haze... Even many of the commercial IPAs have a haze when you pour them.
If you look at the BJCP guide lines for an IPA they state that a slight haze is ok do to the dry hopping.
My guess is that you have a little protein haze mixed with the hop haze and it needs to have time and maybe a little gel to drop it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 02-22-2008, 01:06 AM   #10
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I know what you mean by IPAs tending not to clear as well as other styles, and both these beers did have around 4 oz of pellets added after 20 min. left in the boil. However, I brew a lot of IPAs, and this is something very different, almost as if you were to swirl a homebrew bottle and be sure to pour all the sediment into the glass. I'm beginning to think it's some sort of infection. Can Gelatin clear a hazy infection? It's yet to be seen what happens to this batch, but the last one I drank for several months with little or no change in flavor.

Corrupt Brewers

Quick Reply