No hop spider needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphopopotamus

Reaction score
OK. I tried my own variation on the hop spider with my last brew. I loved the results.

When finished I cleaned my paint strainer bag and wanted to dry it completely before putting it away fearing mold.

I stretched it over my brew kettle as shown in the picture.

What followed was one of those hand-to-forehead moments. Why don't I just use it this way instead of using the hop spider at all. seems like utilization would be better too.

What do you guys think?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p18G0b8h5TaHL-ZOWF6zig?feat=directlink

Sorry for think link, I can't seem to get pictures to show properly.

I figure as long as I can keep the bag from resting on the bottom of the kettle, I should be fine.

You can use it that way ant it will probably work better. Use binder clips to keep it on. The hop spider is mainly used for kettles made from kegs and in that case you cant get a strainer bag that large.

I used to do just that. Two problems are the nylon bag melting to the outside of the kettle, and the bag floating up to the surface. So now I use 1-gal strainer bags as hop bags.

I hadn't considered that it could melt to the outside of the kettle. My wife bakes cakes and has these oven safe insulating bands. If melting becomes an issue, I'll try using one of these bands to prevent it in the future - I'd rather not use them if I don't have to.

As for floating, I figured that'd be a problem. I have an extra SS locknut I'm not using anymore and some SS bolts that I was going to use to keep the bag submerged. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I get to brew again.

Back