Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > No false bottom = no fun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default No false bottom = no fun

AG today. My first all grain off the stove went well. I did a single decoction and when I drained the mash tun other than the first runnings I had almost NO grist in the wort at all. Well, not this time. Every time I popped the drain it was pretty much 10.5# of pale malt yelling "CHARGE". Thankfully I had a strainer so I was able to filter, but good god that took forever.

No, I'm not worried if I ruined my beer or anything. Just venting.

Oh yeah, I also decided to use no hops backs. With pellet hops, then filter them out. Yeah, that SUCKED just a little.

So, I spent about 90 minutes total today outside working with 150° wort re-filtering and re-filtering.

On top of that I pulled a sweet 62% efficiency. Normally that number wouldn't bother me, but for the effort I had to put in today the brew Gods could have at least smiled on me with a 70%.

Anyways, it'll probably be the hoppiest, cleanest, clearest, tastiest beer I ever had. This one as long as I avoid any infection is getting bottled and going into my private stock.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep1980 View Post
Oh yeah, I also decided to use no hops backs. With pellet hops, then filter them out. Yeah, that SUCKED just a little..
Did you whirlpool in the boil kettle?

I haven't been using hop bags, and haven't had any trouble. All the trub collects in the middle.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Did you whirlpool in the boil kettle?

I haven't been using hop bags, and haven't had any trouble. All the trub collects in the middle.
Yes. Hop sludge everywhere.

Quick Reply