No-chill and hop utilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakins

Reaction score
For those who "no-chill," what adjustments have you made to your hops? I read somewhere, that no-chill, because of holding the wort at elevated temps for a few hours, was like adding another 20 minutes to each hop addition. Has anyone noticed this? I'm just wondering, for calculations, should my 60 minute addition actually be calculated like an 80 minute, 20 as a 40 minute, etc. I've mostly just been doing 60 minute additions and the adding hops directly to the cube since I started no-chilling.

For future reference I think this chart tells most of what I needed to knwo:

No_Chill_Hop_Adjust.bmp

Search never cease to fail me here...

Sipping on my no-chill red wheat right now. I cube hoped it with 2 ounces. Tastes nice.

Side note: I've given up on dry wheat yeasts. Tried all of them, and all of them taste "off." (All others were chilled "normal" with my plate chiller, so no-chill is not a factor.) They aren't bad, just not quite right - they still taste good on a 98 degree day...

For future reference I think this chart tells most of what I needed to knwo:

No_Chill_Hop_Adjust.bmp

Search never cease to fail me here...

Everything in the chart pretty much makes sense here, except for 1 thing. How do the 15 and 10 minute flavoring additions get converted to FWH? Instead of adding essentially 20 mins later, you're adding 45+ mins earlier? I don't get it...

read the "no-chill" thread that was linked before, it states around where that chart was posted why the aroma hops are converted to FWH additions..

..something with the current temp of the mash utilizing aroma properties of hops before the temp rises to boiling.. an inaccurate paraphrase, but it's in there I swear! lol

Back