Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > No chill
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
djt17's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central MN
Posts: 690
Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post

How much psi do you use?

What's the purpose of the Starsan soaked towel?
12 psi. The poppets on a keg are not designed to operate in a vacuum vessel. Theoretical as the wort cools & creates a vacuum, air could be sucked past the poppets. Not sure if the towel is needed or not. But it gives me a warm fuzzy.
__________________
djt17 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
BadMrFrosty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Posts: 186
Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Every one of my last 30 or so batches has been no chill and none of them have suffered for it. I just turn off the flame, put the lid on the kettle and leave to cool overnight. No transfer to another vessel, no problems with flavour or clarity.

__________________

Primary: Beer, Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer

BadMrFrosty is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #13
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yambor44's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ocala Florida
Posts: 1,951
Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt17
12 psi. The poppets on a keg are not designed to operate in a vacuum vessel. Theoretical as the wort cools & creates a vacuum, air could be sucked past the poppets. Not sure if the towel is needed or not. But it gives me a warm fuzzy.
Makes sense. Thanks!
__________________
Yambor44 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #14
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yambor44's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ocala Florida
Posts: 1,951
Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMrFrosty
Every one of my last 30 or so batches has been no chill and none of them have suffered for it. I just turn off the flame, put the lid on the kettle and leave to cool overnight. No transfer to another vessel, no problems with flavour or clarity.
Good to know. I am using an electric setup so I'd rather clean the kettle right away. Also, I plan on fermenting in the keg as well.
__________________
Yambor44 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
Iceman6409
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 243
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Just some random questions here. BadMrFrosty you say you do your boil, put the kettle lid on and come back the next day and you have had no problems with about 30 batches? That is outstanding to be honest. I am looking for a way to reduce my water bill too so this is appealing to me.

Another thought. What if I was to finish the boil, transfer to carboy or plastic bucket and then put in a temperature controlled chest freezer overnight. Actually the more I think about it a plastic pail would be a better option with regards to moving it around. Much lighter. Would a corny keg work as well? Boil, transfer to corny, corny to freezer, rack to carboy when ready?

__________________
Iceman6409 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #16
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Old Pueblo
Posts: 16,405
Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman6409 View Post
Just some random questions here. BadMrFrosty you say you do your boil, put the kettle lid on and come back the next day and you have had no problems with about 30 batches? That is outstanding to be honest. I am looking for a way to reduce my water bill too so this is appealing to me.

Another thought. What if I was to finish the boil, transfer to carboy or plastic bucket and then put in a temperature controlled chest freezer overnight. Actually the more I think about it a plastic pail would be a better option with regards to moving it around. Much lighter. Would a corny keg work as well? Boil, transfer to corny, corny to freezer, rack to carboy when ready?
I don't think I'd trust a glass carboy with the thermal shock of boiling wort. Could be messy and dangerous if it shatters. I don't know if the average plastic bucket can withstand boiling temps either, but I've never tried. I know the Aussies use the square HDPE carboys, and don't seem to have any problems.

A corny keg will certainly work. I ferment all of my beer in kegs, both sankeys and cornies, so I just drain into my kegs, seal them up, and place them in my ferm chamber overnight. The next day I check the temps, and if they're ready I aerate and pitch my yeast.
__________________
Keezer Soze

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
JuanMoore is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #17
BadMrFrosty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Posts: 186
Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman6409 View Post
Just some random questions here. BadMrFrosty you say you do your boil, put the kettle lid on and come back the next day and you have had no problems with about 30 batches? That is outstanding to be honest. I am looking for a way to reduce my water bill too so this is appealing to me.

Another thought. What if I was to finish the boil, transfer to carboy or plastic bucket and then put in a temperature controlled chest freezer overnight. Actually the more I think about it a plastic pail would be a better option with regards to moving it around. Much lighter. Would a corny keg work as well? Boil, transfer to corny, corny to freezer, rack to carboy when ready?
I Agree with JuanMoore above, glass can do horrible things if you pour hot liquid into a cold container. You could try heating up the carboy before hand but I don't think I would take the risk.

I have never put boiling wort into a bucket however I do sparge in a plastic ale pale at ~75C (~170F) and I have also seen people fitting electric heating elements to plastic buckets to boil in so who knows, its crazy but might just work
__________________

Primary: Beer, Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer

BadMrFrosty is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NO CHILL beer, and chill haze... UGH The Pol General Techniques 62 01-16-2013 10:12 PM
Flame out hops, strategy..Chill fast vs Chill slow(steep) boss429 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 05-13-2011 11:36 PM
Testing brew after a week, to chill or not chill bmanbrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 04-05-2011 10:58 PM
Chill or not chill prior to entering competion... -TH- General Techniques 3 02-12-2010 07:39 PM
Using a wind chill of -5 to chill wort BierMuncher All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 23 02-08-2007 12:54 AM