Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > No chill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post

How much psi do you use?

What's the purpose of the Starsan soaked towel?
12 psi. The poppets on a keg are not designed to operate in a vacuum vessel. Theoretical as the wort cools & creates a vacuum, air could be sucked past the poppets. Not sure if the towel is needed or not. But it gives me a warm fuzzy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
BadMrFrosty
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Every one of my last 30 or so batches has been no chill and none of them have suffered for it. I just turn off the flame, put the lid on the kettle and leave to cool overnight. No transfer to another vessel, no problems with flavour or clarity.

Primary: Beer, Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer

Old 04-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #13
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt17
12 psi. The poppets on a keg are not designed to operate in a vacuum vessel. Theoretical as the wort cools & creates a vacuum, air could be sucked past the poppets. Not sure if the towel is needed or not. But it gives me a warm fuzzy.
Makes sense. Thanks!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #14
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMrFrosty
Every one of my last 30 or so batches has been no chill and none of them have suffered for it. I just turn off the flame, put the lid on the kettle and leave to cool overnight. No transfer to another vessel, no problems with flavour or clarity.
Good to know. I am using an electric setup so I'd rather clean the kettle right away. Also, I plan on fermenting in the keg as well.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
Iceman6409
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just some random questions here. BadMrFrosty you say you do your boil, put the kettle lid on and come back the next day and you have had no problems with about 30 batches? That is outstanding to be honest. I am looking for a way to reduce my water bill too so this is appealing to me.

Another thought. What if I was to finish the boil, transfer to carboy or plastic bucket and then put in a temperature controlled chest freezer overnight. Actually the more I think about it a plastic pail would be a better option with regards to moving it around. Much lighter. Would a corny keg work as well? Boil, transfer to corny, corny to freezer, rack to carboy when ready?

Old 04-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #16
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman6409 View Post
Just some random questions here. BadMrFrosty you say you do your boil, put the kettle lid on and come back the next day and you have had no problems with about 30 batches? That is outstanding to be honest. I am looking for a way to reduce my water bill too so this is appealing to me.

Another thought. What if I was to finish the boil, transfer to carboy or plastic bucket and then put in a temperature controlled chest freezer overnight. Actually the more I think about it a plastic pail would be a better option with regards to moving it around. Much lighter. Would a corny keg work as well? Boil, transfer to corny, corny to freezer, rack to carboy when ready?
I don't think I'd trust a glass carboy with the thermal shock of boiling wort. Could be messy and dangerous if it shatters. I don't know if the average plastic bucket can withstand boiling temps either, but I've never tried. I know the Aussies use the square HDPE carboys, and don't seem to have any problems.

A corny keg will certainly work. I ferment all of my beer in kegs, both sankeys and cornies, so I just drain into my kegs, seal them up, and place them in my ferm chamber overnight. The next day I check the temps, and if they're ready I aerate and pitch my yeast.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #17
BadMrFrosty
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman6409 View Post

I Agree with JuanMoore above, glass can do horrible things if you pour hot liquid into a cold container. You could try heating up the carboy before hand but I don't think I would take the risk.

I have never put boiling wort into a bucket however I do sparge in a plastic ale pale at ~75C (~170F) and I have also seen people fitting electric heating elements to plastic buckets to boil in so who knows, its crazy but might just work

Primary: Beer, Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer

Quick Reply