Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Next time I brew 10 gallons I'll make a party out of it.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 03:59 AM   #1
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Next time I brew 10 gallons I'll make a party out of it.

So I don't have any kind of sculpture. Just my trusty turkey fryer and a 6' table. When I fill my mash tun I have to bring it to the ground then pick up my huge pot, dump in my mash/sparge water, then hoist it back up to the table.

I usually do 5 gallon batches, but since I started at the LHBS I get great discounts, so what the hell. I've only done 1 other 10 gallon batch, but other people were there to help. Not today. Everything was ok until it was time for my 10 gallon sparge with 23 pounds of grain. Now, I'm 25 and I'm in pretty good shape. But for a couple minutes there I thought I was going to have to call off brew day because I could't get the damn mash tun off the ground and back up to the table. Everytime I tried I could get it about waste high while it was sloshing 180F water on me and simply could not raise it any higher. So I drug a chair over, summoned the strength to lift it up to that. Alright, half way there. I took a second and walked around holding my back like an 80 year old man or a pregnant woman would, you know, fingers pointed in towards my spine and my elbow sticking out to side. Slapped my self in the face a couple times to get me amped up and lifted it to the table. I felt so weak. But alas, I overcame.

Later while trying to grab some wort for my starter 15 minutes into the boil I got hosed across both hands with boiling wort. 2nd weekend in a row I got burned brewing. Last weekend I using my lighter and some fluid leaked out and ran down my thumb, the flame soon followed it's path.

So all in all, it was a rough brew day, but ... 10 gallons of IPA in the fermenter and WLP007 swirling away in my new erlenmeyer flask.

Now it's time to start drinking and watch either Mystery Science Theater or Reefer Madness.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds brutal! Any chance there's video of this fiasco?

MST3K FTW!

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 08-30-2009, 04:12 AM   #3
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSteve View Post
Sounds brutal! Any chance there's video of this fiasco?

MST3K FTW!

-Steve
Well of course there's no video, there was no one there to film it. And because I left the camera outside while I was brewing one day and it started pouring.

And yes, MST3K FTW indeed. I've been watching that stuff since I was in elementary school.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 08-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
winstonofbeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I feel your pain.
Just brewed the 1st 10 gal batch. Lifting that d@mn cooler full of hot water plus grain is back breaking. I ended up getting my cooler on top of a fridge on wheels " my new ferm chamber" and with a few burns everything ended up well

Planing ahead is key!!!!

Old 08-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
meluvbeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

At least you finished and didnt quit like some would have. May be the
best batch ever.

...Because life sucks without BEER...

Old 08-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Why don't you just use a jug to scoop water out of the pot and dump it into the tun?

Old 08-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
akaryrye
Recipes 

I use a bucket to transfer my mash and sparge water personally. Your method sounds difficult

Fermenting: 20 gallons of IIPA
Keg/bottle: Tearjerker IPA, Experimental pale ale, crappy tasting ESB, wonderful Belgian pale

Old 08-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You could try a manual pump like the one Denny uses...
http://hbd.org/clubs/cascade/public_...uipcloseup.jpg

all kidding aside, I bought a plastic gallon pitcher, one gallon at a time makes easy work of even the largest grain bills. Once on an oversized batch, I even sanitized the pitcher, and used it to move chilled wort to the fermenters.

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 08-30-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I brew my 10 gal batches on the deck, this way I can create a 3-tier gravity system without a pump and it is easy to carry wort back up to the keggle. I do only continuous sparging, so I don't have to carry all that hot water.
When sparging, the keggle is siting on the deck up on the burner, and the water goes from the keggle down to the mash tun (a cooler) sitting on the deck floor, and then down to the fermenting buckets sitting on the ground. Then I carry the wort back up to the keggle in buckets 3-4 gallons at a time, so it's easier. After the boil I use the same gravity system to cool the wort with my counter flow chiller.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaryrye View Post
I use a bucket to transfer my mash and sparge water personally. Your method sounds difficult

Exactly. Leave the tun on the tall table and ladle the water in. you're working too damned hard.

And why do you need to pull wort out in the middle of the boil? Makes no sense to me.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply