Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Newbie process advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
ancapgeko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Newbie process advice

So I'm gearing up for my first all grain batch and would like some tips on my projected process. Any advice would help.
First, my equipment:
(1) 8 gallon aluminum pot
(2) 2 gallon pots
"zapap" bucket style lauter tun
I'll be using the big pot as both my mash tun and brew kettle and the smaller pots as HLT's.
Process steps:
1. Bring appropriate amount of water to 120 F (water amount dependent upon recipe) add grains and stir for dough-in/protein rest for 20 min
2. Heat to 148 F for saccarification rest for 60 min or until conversion complete.
3. Dump pot into "zapap" lauter tun, vorlauf and start fly sparging with 170 F water from HLT's.
4. Stop when desired pre-boil volume is reached.

See any problems with the process? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

With better control of the malting process, today's grains won't benefit much from a protein rest so you can streamline your process by eliminating that step. You may or may not want your scarification rest temperature to be a little higher. Higher temperature will cause some of your sugars to end up as longer chain and unfermentable, giving your beer more body. I tend to look for 152-154 but I may be doing it all wrong.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree. Skip the protein rest. You can mash in for 148. But I would only stay there for 20 min., then go to 156-160. You will get better mouthfeel. Then, heat it to 168 to mash out. Then move it to the zap pap and lauter.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 109

the 148 is toward the low end of mash temps.
but what style of beer is it?
If that is what the recipe calls for I would think about what you want out of the finished beer before changing it.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
ancapgeko
Recipes 

I tend to like beers that are on the lighter side (mouth feel wise) hence the 148. I also have alot of unmalted wheat that I need to use up or it will go to waste, that's the reason for the protein rest. Additionally, Brad Smith recommends a protein rest even for modern malts. Thanks for the responses guys.

Quick Reply