The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > NEWBIE: Help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #21
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwibbidy View Post
Thinking back to both this batch and my first batch I believe I've been steeping the grains over boiling heat, I never waited for the water to get below 160 before steeping....I think this is my problem.... Will this simple mistake cause a dramatic change in the flavor of the beer?
It is hard to believe how much it can change the flavor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #22
newb
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm with cluckk - I would say boiling your steeping grains is a likely a big part of the problem. Another thing to consider though, do you take it back off the heat before adding your extracts? You don't want to burn that stuff either. Cut the heat, then add your extract being careful not to let it burn on the bottom (perfect if you have a brew partner to help do one or the other, stir or pour)

Oh and a thing about adding the grain, then bringing the water up to temp. If you go that route, you may want to tie the bag to a handle or something to keep it off the bottom, or move it a lot during this time. Direct heat on your grains won't necessarily, but COULD- cause some damage. The metal bottom of your kettle is a more hot than the overall temp of the water. So while your water may just be approaching 155, the flame right on the kettle bottom could be roasting the contacting grains pretty good.(not such a big deal in all extract unless you are really burning the grains and getting bad flavors, but partial mash to all grain- you might see a slight efficiency loss) I'm not against heating with grains in though, my mash tun is a big stainless kettle and doesn't hold heat well so I typically have it sitting on a bayou burner to control my temp. I just stir a lot, and the false bottom helps a bit I think.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #23
oceans11_gt
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Let me guess...... Your beer looks great, Smells amazing, you can taste what its supposed to taste like over all, but it is covered up by a weird sour taste that doesn't seem to go away? Definitely a result of boiling the grains and extracting tannin. I just made an Oatmeal Stout Extract kit that I threw some chocolate malt in towards the end of the boil and got the same thing. This was before I knew this was a NO NO! I could taste an excellent beer under the sour taste but I ended up dumping it all and bottling a new one. Live and learn I guess. I am going to change to All-Grain from now but you can make great beer with extracts. Just follow the directions diligently until you get the hang of the process, and consistently produce beers you are happy with.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #24
Seedly
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just to make sure we are all understanding your process correctly, are you doing things in the below order:
1) heat water to 150-160
2) steep grains for 30 min
3) remove grains
4) heat to boiling while adding extract
5) add hops while boiling
6) remove hops after boil
7) cool to below 70
8) pitch yeast and let the magic happen

If you got steps 2 and 4 out of order, then your going to get all sorts of nasty flavors.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #25
schwibbidy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedly
Just to make sure we are all understanding your process correctly, are you doing things in the below order:
1) heat water to 150-160
2) steep grains for 30 min
3) remove grains
4) heat to boiling while adding extract
5) add hops while boiling
6) remove hops after boil
7) cool to below 70
8) pitch yeast and let the magic happen

If you got steps 2 and 4 out of order, then your going to get all sorts of nasty flavors.
Yes I believe I made mistakes on steps 2 and 4, which makes me feel a little better now that I can pinpoint my problem, ill be brewing stout this weekend and will update how that one turns out

NEW QUESTION:

I bought cocoa nibs to add to my stout that I will be brewing, I heard the best way to add them is to boil some water with the cocoa nibs so that it dissolves them, let it cool to room temp and then add it when I am racking from primary to secondary.....what's the best method??

Old 12-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #26
jmh286
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think everyone else here pretty much figured it out for you. I have made some very good beer using extract so don't be discouraged!

Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #27
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Like all things in life there are variations, and this is no different with the schedule just given. Stick with it for a while and see what you get. If you are using hopped extract eventually you will want to change to unhopped and add your own. I did this as the next step and found my hops were really not as pronounced as I expected. Gravity really affects hop isomerization. In time I changed to:

1) Steep grains at 150- 160 for thirty minutes
2) Remove grains
3) Heat water to a boil and add bittering hops
4) Boil for 45 minutes (out of a full 60 minute boil)
5) Stir in extract to boil for final 15 minutes of boil
6) Add flavor hops for last fifteen minutes of boil
7) Add aroma hops at last 5 minutes of boil
8) Cool, rack, oxygenate, pitch, ignore

Quick Reply