The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Newbie burner question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #1
wskee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Newbie burner question

I just converted from partial mash to all grain and in the process purchased a 10 gallon polar brew kettle to replace the 5 gal I had. I have a Bayou Classic SP50 propane burner that could get 5 gallons raging in my old pot but with 7 gallons in the polar, the burner could not keep the boil going more than a weak simmer.
I was in the garage and it was a cold day but the garage was 40 or so. I had no idea that my burner would not be able to do the job.
What does everyone like for burners? I am using a normal 20 gallon grill tank and a tall SP50 Bayou burner but I would like to convert to something else.
http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/sp5...ane_burner.htm thanks for any advice!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #2
tonyc318
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

I absolutely love my blichmann. Bought one 4 batches ago and have not looked back. The thing is worth the investment.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
sniperd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I brew with 3 friends. We have 1 turkey burner:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product (this one works fine for 15 gallon batches)
1 fish fry burner, go it from bass pro shop. It only has 5 psi but can get the 15 gallons going.

1 actual brewing burner (I think), it's a nice bayou. IMHO I'm not sold on the bigger expensive burners. What we did is get a heat stick. Toss that in there with the burner, boom, it's on. Plus one of the guys sometimes makes extract on his stove and this is his way to get it to boil for 5 gallons.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wskee View Post
I just converted from partial mash to all grain and in the process purchased a 10 gallon polar brew kettle to replace the 5 gal I had. I have a Bayou Classic SP50 propane burner that could get 5 gallons raging in my old pot but with 7 gallons in the polar, the burner could not keep the boil going more than a weak simmer.
I was in the garage and it was a cold day but the garage was 40 or so. I had no idea that my burner would not be able to do the job.
What does everyone like for burners? I am using a normal 20 gallon grill tank and a tall SP50 Bayou burner but I would like to convert to something else.
http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/sp5...ane_burner.htm thanks for any advice!
I went to the green Acme nut and to a 0-20psi regulator and my turkey fryer cast iron burner is a monster now.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
revco
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got a Bayou Classic KAB6 and couldn't be happier. A bit more money than the average burner, but is constructed well and has zero problems with pumping out the heat. I brewed in 24 degrees yesterday and I reached boil in about average time.

I might also suggest a tube-style propane heater for your garage. Makes brewing on those cold days quite a pleasant experience and will help keep the ambient temps around the kettle reasonable. If you experience cold winters, it will find many uses.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
I went to the green Acme nut and to a 0-20psi regulator and my turkey fryer cast iron burner is a monster now.
This. Change out your regulator, no need to buy a new burner. This thing will scream. I routinely do 8 gallon boils on mine, I have to turn it down to avoid excess boil-off.

I got an adjustable 0-30 psi regulator and a rubber type propane hose at Menards. I needed to get a orifice to match the thread on the hose. You can get orifi (orifices?) and all the other parts here at tejassmokers.com, or even buy a fully assembled adjustable regulator there. I can vouch for them, I have ordered from them multiple times.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
Francus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

I used the KAB6 before going electric. It's the best and can keep 15 gallons at a rolling boil.

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/kab...urner-plus.htm

Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
BeerCyclist
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I have the SP10 (short version) and I couldn't be happier with it through 5 AG batches. Make sure your hose it screwed tightly onto the propane tank. I had a few instances where I was getting a very low flame and thought I was running out of fuel, but it turned out that the connector just needed to be tightened.

Just chillin' balls...

Old 11-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
lemmiwinks
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with the rest.
Check your regulator - 55k BTU should be plenty to get that amount boiling.
I have this hunk a junk and I can get 6.5 gallons in a 10 gal SS kettle from mash temp to boil in about 30-45 minutes on full blast.
Comes with an aluminum pot as an added bonus.
I drilled a hole in the pot and threw in a valve and use it as an HLT.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #10
wskee
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am going to try and switch the regulator out and go from there. I did check all hoses and hookups and everything seems fine. Hopefully a few upgrades will do the trick.

Quick Reply