New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New Question about "2-Row" Crystal Malt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
h4rdluck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default New Question about "2-Row" Crystal Malt

Anyway it was supposed to read "Newbie Question"

So I did a "partial mash" the other day. I figured I would goto the store and get some 2-row malt, and mash 1 pound of malt and 1 pound of oatmeal for my oatmeal stout. Anyway followed directions (This was my first PM too) and got what I thought was a nice thick mash goo out of this. I then proceeded to boil as usual with my extracts.

Only problem is a I used 2-row crystal malt. I thought all I needed was 2-row and just grabbed what I saw. Am I to assume after further reading that all crystal malt (Whether its labeled 2-row) or not actually contains no enzymes? (Dammit) It isn't that big of a deal... It will still be beer (And I have made oatmeal stoats just by steeping the grain for 30 minutes before....this should only increase the oatmeal taste since it was "mashed for almost an hour :P...

Anyway Now I have a bag of Muntons 2-row Pale Malt in preparation for my next batch.

Also the amount of trub on my carboy is almost to the 1 gallon mark. I had no clue I would get that much trub from a partial mash. Or is it only because I didn't actually "Mash" anything?

Last edited by h4rdluck; 07-14-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well really...there are only 2 kinds of barley: ones that grow in an arrangement of 2-rows or ones that grow in 6-rows. Hence why many of our malts like to say they are 2-row (which is more preferable for the brewer).

Now, yes, with crystal malts, they don't have many enzymes for mashing. Do you know what Lovibond rating your crystal was? The darker the lovibond, the more the 2-row malt was "stewed" and kilned (which caramelizes sugars that gets converted: rendering them unfermentable). With the lighter crystals, there can be some slight chance of having some fermentables, but it's still nothing like your base grain (just regular malted 2-row).

But the main thing I'd double check on is what kind of oatmeal you used. Did you use flaked oatmeal? If so, you should do OK: the other varieties of oatmeal tend to need some cooking. The other thing is that oatmeal itself is adding oils to the beer to add body and mouthfeel: don't expect an oatmeal taste.

On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 07-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
kevmoron
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Actually, there is 4-row as well, but it is not used much for brewing.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmoron View Post
Actually, there is 4-row as well, but it is not used much for brewing.
Well you learn something new every day

Most all grains (for brewing) are 2-row. I think the main thing that makes it confusing for the begining AG brewer is that a specialty grain can still have "2-Row" in its name...main thing is to keep in mind that if there's the name "chrystal" "cara" or anything other then "pale" usually means there's some other treatment that's happened to that particular malt.
On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

You' ve got lots of starch and protein in the fermenter, since no conversion occured. I noticed that massive trubs will compact if you leave them for 4 weeks or so.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply