The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New lager brewer: German Pilsner Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #21
BPal75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Ideally I prefer to slowly ramp down my temps after d-rest about 1-2 degrees per day until I reach lagering temps in the mid 30s, then transfer to a corny and lager for 4 weeks minimum. Without strict temp control however that is obviously very difficult. You should be fine keeping it in primary at 60 until you're ready to lager, because fermentation is done and the yeast are just cleaning up. You might consider moving the primary back to your swamp cooler and lower the temp that way until you're ready to transfer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy1012 View Post
Essentially, can I ferment at 50 for a week then raise it to 60 for d-rest, then leave it at 60 for the remaining two weeks?
That's pretty much what I did because it took so long to finish fermenting. It probably isn't the 'best' thing to do, but my hydrometer sample tasted great even though the beer had been between 65 and 70 for over 2 weeks.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #23
Johnnyboy1012
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think what I decided to do is put the carboy in my kegerator that is set to 43 degrees. I will wrap it with a sweatshirt and my winter coat. I emailed Wyeast about Bohemian Lager Yeast 2124 to see if the yeast will still work at this temp because their site says 45 degrees and they said yes it will still ferment but it will just talk longer. So I plan on making a huge starter with 2 packs of yeast. I figure the temp of the kegerator is more stable then the temp of my closet. How long do you think it will take before I would need to complete a d-rest at this cold temperature?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #24
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

Not a lot of experience with lagers on my side, but to the OP, I think you'll really love the Perle/Hallertauer mix. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow beer is a faux lager (maybe an "alegar"?) that I keep on tap for my BMC friends. I ferment it with US05 at 66-68F then cold crash it in one keg before racking to another for clarity. The Perle/Hallertauer blend on that beer really has it tasting lager-ish. And my light beer drinking friends love it.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #25
dbsmith
Recipes 

Quote:
I think what I decided to do is put the carboy in my kegerator that is set to 43 degrees. I will wrap it with a sweatshirt and my winter coat. I emailed Wyeast about Bohemian Lager Yeast 2124 to see if the yeast will still work at this temp because their site says 45 degrees and they said yes it will still ferment but it will just talk longer. So I plan on making a huge starter with 2 packs of yeast. I figure the temp of the kegerator is more stable then the temp of my closet. How long do you think it will take before I would need to complete a d-rest at this cold temperature?
Well, for me it took about 6-7 days to ferment about 75% of the expected amount (at 53 degrees), which is time for the d-rest. If I were doing it at 43, I would probably take a gravity reading at 10 days, and if it was around 1.020-1.025 then I would start my d-rest. If I had to guess I would say maybe around day 12? Someone with more lager experience than me would probably have a better guess.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #26
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

Buy a wine/beer thief (less than $10 from most shops). Sanitize the thief and your hydrometer. The one I have is large enough for my hydrometer to slide in. Take a sample and read the hydrometer at the same time.

Empty the approximately 2 oz of beer into a small glass. If you are approx. 70-75% of the way to your FG, ramp your temp up for a D rest.

Final step ....

Drink your 2 ounce sample.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #27
apshaffer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Good thinking. I can wrap the carboy in a winter jacket or something like that. Sounds cheesy but whatever works right?? How long would you suggest leaving it on the kegerator? Until it slows then put it at room temp for d-rest? How long to d-rest? Once d-rest is over should I transfer to keg to lager or keep in primary for about 3 weeks total? Sry for the questions! Just a noob lager brewer that wants to get it right! Thanks for the help
I usually leave it in the insulated primary for 3-4 weeks in the kegerator at 46. Then I do a d-rest for 7-10 days. I usually just take the carboy out of the kegerator and bring it in the house. My d-rest is probably in the mid to upper 60s. I then rack to a corny keg, and it goes back in the kegerator but this time in the low 30s to lager for 30 days or so.

I can fit 1 corny keg and a 5.5 gallon carboy or 2 corny kegs in my kegerator at the same time. My lager technique is just what works for my equipment.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #28
Johnnyboy1012
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Update: So my German Pils has been in the fridge at 48-50 degrees for 5 days now and I see that things are starting to slow down so I took a gravity reading because I've been reading that at about 1.020 you should do a diacetyl rest for a few days. I've been reading a ton of forums on diacetyl rests and people have many different opinions on the matter but from what I've gathered it wouldn't hurt to do one.

Like I said, I just took a gravity reading and it is 1.024. My question is, when I take it out of the fridge for a d-rest tomorrow, how long do I keep it at 60-65 degrees? Two, three days? How do I know it is done at that point? Would it hurt to keep out of the fridge for 7 days just to make sure it is done? I pitched at 44-45 degrees so I'm not sure yet if I need a d-rest but I'd rather be safe then sorry. Listening to Jamil, it didn't sound like he does a d-rest when he pitches at 44 degrees, but like I said, I'd rather be on the safe side. Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should do? I still have my sample I took for the gravity reading so I'll heat half the sample up to 140 and smell it for diacetyl. As of 5 minutes ago, the sample I took did not smell of any popcorn butter.

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first lager and of course I want to get it right!

Old 01-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #29
dbsmith
Recipes 

Just do the d-rest for as long as it takes for your beer to finish fermenting. And do the smell test when it finishes. I'm excited to bottle mine..just a couple more weeks of lagering.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:36 AM   #30
Johnnyboy1012
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So do you think I should take it out of the fridge now? or Leave it until the morning? it was at 1.024-1.022. Today is only the 5th day into fermentation. Is it normal that my lager would be done so quickly at 48 degrees? I read some people say to just leave it in the fridge at fermentation temps for at least 3-4 weeks. I don't want to miss out on a d-rest though incase I need one. Thoughts?

Quick Reply