Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New lager brewer: German Pilsner Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #11
Johnnyboy1012
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I do have a Beer Meister kegerator that I can ferment in, but the highest temp it goes is 43 degrees and the lowest temp Wyeast lists on their site for their Bohemian Lager Yeast 2124 is 45. I would also say that when it kicks on, it is probably blows cold air that is below 43 degrees. Anyone think 43 would be too low?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #12
dbsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy1012 View Post
I understand your reasoning to try and prevent oxidation but I will say that I will learn from your mistake. Tanks for the heads up. I was planning on keeping the beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks. Thoughts on that?
That should be totally fine. I wouldn't go any longer than 3 weeks though just because it already takes so long to enjoy the fruits of your labor for lagers. I would start the lagering as soon as it is ready.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #13
apshaffer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would go with the kegerator. Fermentation creates its own heat, so if you wrap the carboy in some bubble insulation it will probably be close to 50. In the upper 40s at least. That's what I do. Worst thing that will happen is it may take a little longer.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #14
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 46

For my 1st and only lager, which was fantastic, I did ferment at 50ish until a few pts above predicted final grav (about 5 days). Brought it up to around 70 for d-rest for 3 days. Lagered in same better bottle for 6 weeks, force carb'd for a week. WOWZA. Only problem is I don't have any left. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #15
Johnnyboy1012
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apshaffer View Post
I would go with the kegerator. Fermentation creates its own heat, so if you wrap the carboy in some bubble insulation it will probably be close to 50. In the upper 40s at least. That's what I do. Worst thing that will happen is it may take a little longer.
Good thinking. I can wrap the carboy in a winter jacket or something like that. Sounds cheesy but whatever works right?? How long would you suggest leaving it on the kegerator? Until it slows then put it at room temp for d-rest? How long to d-rest? Once d-rest is over should I transfer to keg to lager or keep in primary for about 3 weeks total? Sry for the questions! Just a noob lager brewer that wants to get it right! Thanks for the help

Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #16
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

From the threads here and noonans lager book, d-rest is meant to clean up the end of fermentation and help make sure you reach full attenuation. Generally people d-rest for about 2-3 days. I personally would just leave it in the primary, and lager in it also. Just for ease, until you are ready to force keg or bottle, etc. Either way, if you aren't up for the challenge, I'm in NJ and will take your wort!! JK, it will be great. I just wouldn't rush it since its not worth saving a few days/week or so if you can just get it perfect.

John

Old 01-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #17
Johnnyboy1012
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmatics View Post
From the threads here and noonans lager book, d-rest is meant to clean up the end of fermentation and help make sure you reach full attenuation. Generally people d-rest for about 2-3 days. I personally would just leave it in the primary, and lager in it also. Just for ease, until you are ready to force keg or bottle, etc. Either way, if you aren't up for the challenge, I'm in NJ and will take your wort!! JK, it will be great. I just wouldn't rush it since its not worth saving a few days/week or so if you can just get it perfect.

John
Haha! So if I got this right I would ferment for 4-6 days until it starts to slow, then raise temp for d-rest for 2-3 days until fermentation is complete. Then I would just go right into lagering after only about 8-9 days of fermenting?

Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #18
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thats the idea, depending on the amount of yeast pitched, the beer, the temp. etc. fermentation will take probably 5-14 days. I think its a good idea to probably leave it around ferm. temp for a few weeks for the yeast to finish, and clean up everything nicely, before lagering. More experienced brewers can chime in on why. I would primary for min. of 2 weeks before lagering, but I do what Yooper does which is always min. 3 week on primary.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:13 AM   #19
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Update on mine, just got a gravity reading of 1.014 so into the fridge it goes! The sample tastes really great, too.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
Johnnyboy1012
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmatics View Post
Thats the idea, depending on the amount of yeast pitched, the beer, the temp. etc. fermentation will take probably 5-14 days. I think its a good idea to probably leave it around ferm. temp for a few weeks for the yeast to finish, and clean up everything nicely, before lagering. More experienced brewers can chime in on why. I would primary for min. of 2 weeks before lagering, but I do what Yooper does which is always min. 3 week on primary.
What about the d-rest? What I wanted to do was ferment around 50 degrees, then when I see primary starting to slow down warm it up a few degrees for d-rest. Then I'm unclear what I should do after the d-rest. Can I keep it at 60 degrees for the remaining time of the 3 weeks? Or can I leave it at 60 for the rest of primary?

Essentially, can I ferment at 50 for a week then raise it to 60 for d-rest, then leave it at 60 for the remaining two weeks?

Quick Reply