The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New Kettle- best way to use it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
jethro55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default New Kettle- best way to use it?

I have a new 10 Gallon Blichmann kettle with the false bottom feature for mash/lauter. My other pot is a 30qt turkey fryer pot that I have been using to brew with for about 6 months. 5 gallons batches are my interest.

I am thinking of using the Blichmann as a mash/lauter tun in a sort of BIAB method. Mashing the correct grain/volume, heating the sparge water in the turkey pot, and then adding the sparge water to the kettle. Then a drain off to the turkey pot.

I have the feeling that I am not thinking this through properly. Can anyone give some pointers on all grain with this set-up?

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 110

The way I'm reading this, it sounds like you're saying you won't be collecting multiple runnings, just adding the hot sparge water to your mash after conversion, no? In this case, it basically just serves to bring your mash up to mash-out temp. Since you have the false bottom, there's really no reason to use a bag. Really, you could use any of the popular techniques. Have you considered trying a modified fly sparge? Basically, once your mash is complete, start draining your first runnings (fairly slowly) then ladling sparge water into your mash at around the same rate it is flowing out. For a 5 gallon batch, this might take 20 minutes max, and you'll get mad efficiency. Maybe that didn't answer your question...

jethro55 Likes This 
Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
jethro55
Recipes 

Thank you for helping Brulosopher!

I guess it does mean that I am trying avoid multiple runnings. And it might be because I don't have that third pot yet.

Right now, just the two pots is what I have... one for the mash/lauter tun (it's the only one big enough for the 7+ gallon boil), and one for heating the sparge water.

Maybe I just need to get the third one. I figured that the hot wort would ruin the plastic fermenting buckets or leach chemicals into the wort.

Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro55
Thank you for helping Brulosopher!

I guess it does mean that I am trying avoid multiple runnings. And it might be because I don't have that third pot yet.

Right now, just the two pots is what I have... one for the mash/lauter tun (it's the only one big enough for the 7+ gallon boil), and one for heating the sparge water.

Maybe I just need to get the third one. I figured that the hot wort would ruin the plastic fermenting buckets or leach chemicals into the wort.
Eh, I've use the same bucket on double batch brew days for the last 5 years... and I'm still alive . Go ahead and do it, you'll get better efficiency that way.
jethro55 Likes This 
Old 02-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
jethro55
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Eh, I've use the same bucket on double batch brew days for the last 5 years... and I'm still alive . Go ahead and do it, you'll get better efficiency that way.
OK. I need a picture. Are you saying I can drain the hot wort into the plastic bucket and then transfer to boil? I apologize up front for the ignorance.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #6
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:

OK. I need a picture. Are you saying I can drain the hot wort into the plastic bucket and then transfer to boil? I apologize up front for the ignorance.
That's exactly what I'm saying

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|
jethro55 Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 03:43 AM   #7
robcj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I have a new 10 Gallon Blichmann kettle with the false bottom feature for mash/laughter. My other pot is a 30qt turkey fryer pot that I have been using to brew with for about 6 months. 5 gallons batches are my interest.

I am thinking of using the Blichmann as a mash/lauter tun in a sort of BIAB method. Mashing the correct grain/volume, heating the sparge water in the turkey pot, and then adding the sparge water to the kettle. Then a drain off to the turkey pot.

I have the feeling that I am not thinking this through properly. Can anyone give some pointers on all grain with this set-up?
A 10 gallon Blichmann with false bottom would be ideal for full volume, single vessel 5 gallon BIAB batches. My friend and I use a 20 gallon Blichmann with false bottom to do the same, but for 10 gallon batches. The false bottom serves no purpose during the mash but it is a great filter for break and hops when transferring to the fermenter.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
jethro55
Recipes 

Brulosopher and robcj,
You guys have given me the ideas that I needed. I'll give it a try both ways.

The ladling method for fly sparge sounds ideal.

I might not understand the BIAB method thoroughly, is there a need to remove the false bottom for the boil?... to prevent scorching of the trapped trub? It sure would be handy to just lift the grains out and proceed to boil.

Good beers to you both !

Old 02-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Is someone using the boilermaker with the false bottom to boil in? I'd be worried about scorching the relative small volume wort below the false bottom. Maybe it wouldn't but I am not sure.
The guy Lonny Mac who popularized the "Brutus 10" DIY brew rig has a different setup now that uses two vessels. You might look that up on his webpage as I am not very familiar with it, but recall seeing in a year or more ago.
Hot wort and plastic buckets are fine. Papazain had advocated mashing and sparing with them as a cheap mash tun.
One trick I've used and that's to put a clean muslin sack or nylon hop straining back on the end of the tube I use to run off to boil kettle to catch any particles of grain that didn't get filtered by the false bottom. Anyway, I think I'm drifting off topic now..
Enjoy your new Blichmann!
TD

Old 02-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 8

BIAB, brew in a bag for a five gallon batch in a ten gallon pot is very simple! Heat 7 gallons to 160 degrees, add grain in grain bag and keep at 150 - 155 degrees for an hour, stir well, remove bag and boil wort....done!

You can either insulate your kettle with blankets during the mash, or add slight heat to maintain temperature.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Quick Reply