Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New BYO Aussi brewing article

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #41
noisy123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The point here is really academic. I think the problem here is distinguishing wort from beer. Botulism can survive in wort according to "Food Authenticity and Traceability" by Michele Lees, but once the yeast is pitched the botulism will die.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #42
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Keep us posted Pol on how it works.
IF I survive...

Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #43
ericm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisy123 View Post
The point here is really academic. I think the problem here is distinguishing wort from beer. Botulism can survive in wort according to "Food Authenticity and Traceability" by Michele Lees, but once the yeast is pitched the botulism will die.
FWIW, if the botulism bacteria do in fact grow in the wort (which it seems the aussie empirical evidence says they don't), if they were killed once the yeast is pitched, it doesn't mean it's safe - the toxin they produce is still there. the main cause of botulism in adults isn't from consuming the bacteria but from consuming the toxin.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #44
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Methinks John Palmer, as well as the editorial staff (and maybe even legal department) of BYO would NOT have written up the process if the potential to die were there. How come most of the time we worship the ground he walks on...yet in this case because it goes against what we've been told, it suddenly is suspect??? Did JP suddenly become dumb???

Good point.

I raised the concern b/c it was mentioned that the wort keep forever if sealed in that cube. I have little experience w/ C. botulinum and it’s toxin. I just know that it can grow in wort (especially since sealed wort is void of O2). But I don’t know how long you have to leave wort unpitched for it to become dangerous.

Surely it seems to work and I don’t argue w/ that. I’m just curious as to why and if there is a risk, where are the boundaries.

The assumption that beer won’t kill you is based on the fact that it won’t remain unpitched for long.

Don’t give JP too much credit. Some of the recent Brew Strong episodes weren’t as strong as I hoped for. I thought it was common knowledge that the CO2 content of air is way less then 1% and that you should never drop anything into a liquid that is boiled in a smooth glass container. I did it once and had a hot wort volcano going.

Kai

Old 02-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #45
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
FWIW, if the botulism bacteria do in fact grow in the wort (which it seems the aussie empirical evidence says they don't), if they were killed once the yeast is pitched, it doesn't mean it's safe - the toxin they produce is still there. the main cause of botulism in adults isn't from consuming the bacteria but from consuming the toxin.
I see, I thought the bacteria were the problem. From the text I cited just about anything will grow in wort if given the right conditions. The question then is Kaiser's above: how much toxin can be produced?

I'll refer you all to the following thread where the issue of toxins in starter was discussed:
Beer and Homebrew Forums - Brew-Monkey.Com - Foodpoisoning
The conclusion they come to, based on a food safety expert's opinion, is that the safest way to prepare wort for future use is to heat above spore-killing temps (i.e. with a pressure cooker).
Apparently this issue was addressed in the 9/06 and 11/06 issues of BYO.

Not saying I wouldn't drink a beer brewed this way. I absolutely would, but facts are facts.

Last edited by noisy123; 02-26-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #46
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would agree that the concern is the botulism toxin, not the bacteria itself (as that will get killed during fermentation). For all we know the toxin would get denatured during fermentation as well, but I don't know how to prove that.

I've wondered about this method as well, and would really simplify AG brewing.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 02-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #47
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
Watch out -- there's a new mod in Dodge today!

IB4TL

Yeah, let's get back to the original topic at hand...

My only concern would be the lack of a quick cold break, which as OUR common wisdom has it, happens if you don't chill quickly.

IIRC the article said that that isn't really an issue for them...I can't recall if palmer said that their beer is still clear because the used finnings or did something else during fermentation, or because they don't care...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #48
The Pol
Recipes 

Well, if I live, there is no concern. If I die, well... you will know.

If Crocodile Dundee can do it, so can I...

Old 02-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #49
The Pol
Recipes 

So am I the only dude trying this? My beer is going to rock... Aussies are innovators. We are simply followers

Old 02-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #50
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I’m not sure how much data there is regarding the amount of cold trub and the speed of chilling. Here is an experiment that we can do:

At the end of the boil fill 2 closable vials with hot break free wort. Drop one on room temp water and the other in a large pot with 100C water. Now let both coast down to room temp and compare the amount of haze in them after they have the same temp.

All this tells us is that haze stability of the final beer should be evaluated if we are doing a side-by-side for no-chill vs. standard chilling.

Kai

Quick Reply