New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New BYO Aussi brewing article

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
Brewme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
This is partly b/c of the thin mash which enables you to convert more of the starches in the malt. That offsets the lower extraction rate that you have in the lauter. You basically have a no-sparge when you brew in a bag.

Kai
You can do a sparge still still with BIAB. John P said in his article that it isn't necessary but I have been sparging using BIAB method with my mini mashes. It would help efficiency as with the regular AG method, correct?

The reason I brought this up in the first place was b/c I want to go AG and this looks just as effective and efficient as a 3 vessel system without all the extra equipment.

Can someone talk me out of using this system? 1 vessel (a converted keg) verses 3?!

Got Twitter? If you want to follow me, my name is Brewme_slc

"Women and wine, game and deceit, make the wealth small and the wants great."
-That famous kite guy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #12
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewme View Post
You can do a sparge still still with BIAB.
How are you sparging with BiaB? If you only have one vessel? Just wondering...

Old 02-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakins View Post
How are you sparging with BiaB? If you only have one vessel? Just wondering...
What I've done is when I remove the bag from the kettle, I leave it draining in my primary bucket. I then pour sparge-water onto the bag (still in the primary). I then transfer the bag to my secondary bucket, and pour the liquid at the bottom of my primary back into the kettle. I did that three times for the 10.5% Belgian I made. The OG of the third lot of sparge-water was 1.030, so there was still some sugar to be had from all that grain.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Danek,

You may want to use a separate bucket for sparging the bag. Unboiled wort is full of bacteria and wild yeast and I would keep that out of anything that you want to ferment in. Even if you sanitize later. It is always good practice to keep the tools for the cold and hot side of brewing separate.

As for sparging the bag you should not just pour water over it. Just submerge it in another pot/vessel that holds the sparge water and mix the grains thoroughly. Then drain the bag again. Basically batch sparging in a bag. Just pouring the sparge water over the bag will lead to uneven extraction. I’m inclined that the sparge water doesn’t even have to be hot and that you should be able to get away with cold brewing water in a bucket. Mainly b/c one of the advantages of BIAB is eliminating the need for another pot to heat the sparge water in. Sparging with cold water should make for a longer lauter -> boil time though.

Kai

Old 02-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danek View Post
What I've done is when I remove the bag from the kettle, I leave it draining in my primary bucket. I then pour sparge-water onto the bag (still in the primary). I then transfer the bag to my secondary bucket, and pour the liquid at the bottom of my primary back into the kettle.
So much for 1 vessel brewing I suppose... Where do you heat the sparge water?

Old 02-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #16
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakins View Post
So much for 1 vessel brewing I suppose... Where do you heat the sparge water?
On the stove-top. It's not a procedure I've seen listed as part of BIAB, but it uses kit I have lying around and gets some extra efficiency, so it works well enough.

Last edited by Danek; 02-24-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #17
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
You may want to use a separate bucket for sparging the bag. Unboiled wort is full of bacteria and wild yeast and I would keep that out of anything that you want to ferment in. Even if you sanitize later. It is always good practice to keep the tools for the cold and hot side of brewing separate.

As for sparging the bag you should not just pour water over it. Just submerge it in another pot/vessel that holds the sparge water and mix the grains thoroughly. Then drain the bag again. Basically batch sparging in a bag. Just pouring the sparge water over the bag will lead to uneven extraction. I’m inclined that the sparge water doesn’t even have to be hot and that you should be able to get away with cold brewing water in a bucket. Mainly b/c one of the advantages of BIAB is eliminating the need for another pot to heat the sparge water in. Sparging with cold water should make for a longer lauter -> boil time though.
All excellent points Kai - thanks for your thoughts.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #18
Brewme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

Kai
This would also eliminate the concern of the Liquid to Grain ratio with this BIAB method. I have an extra pot that I could sparge with, so why not. Now I just need a converted keg to start my AG process.

Got Twitter? If you want to follow me, my name is Brewme_slc

"Women and wine, game and deceit, make the wealth small and the wants great."
-That famous kite guy

Last edited by Brewme; 02-24-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #19
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewme View Post
This would also eliminate the concern of the Liquid to Grain ratio with this BIAB method.
What concern exists regarding the liquid to grain ratio?

Kai

Old 02-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #20
ericm
Recipes 

Quote:
What concern exists regarding the liquid to grain ratio?

Kai
I'm not really at all knowledgeable about the BIAB technique (though I'm thinking of trying it soon), but my understanding was that some people were concerned that the thin mash would denature the B-amylase too quickly and lead to a more dextrinous wort. (though from what I've heard, the empirical evidence contradicts this)

Quick Reply