Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New brewer looking into All grain.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 02:33 AM   #11
blefferd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

like others have said you can make a mash tun very cheap i used one of the 15$ red coolers from walmart and around 50$ in hardware because i didnt use a shopping list i could have proably done it for around 25$ worth of hardware lol.

I use my boil kettle for a hot liquor tank. I paid 50$ for a turkey cooker at Lowes that came with a 6 gallon alumiumin pot which is my HLT and boil kettle. I also have a 22quart SS stock pot i bought at walmart which serves no purpose no except for decotion mashes lol

I built my own wort chiller out of 1/2 copper tubing (once again no shopping list i should have went the next size down lol) i paid 34$ for 50 feet of 1/2" copper tubing at the local hardware store. I had the great idea that i could make a 50' wort chiller out of 1/2 copper with no cornie to wrap it around i ended up with a 10 footer and a bunch of wasted copper! good thing i got it for cheap! It seems to cool the wort about as fast as any ive seen on here around 30 mins or less if i put my boil pot in a bucket of ice water non ice water is a bit longer. my LHBS wants 62$ for a 25foot 3/8" copper wort chiller which is highway robbery to me they say copper prices are high.... i think they are full of it My next one is defently going to be 3/8" and a 50 footer and im going to use my 1/2" for a pre chiller.

i guess it depends on how skillfull you are and how deep your pockets are on your equipment. best thing is to shop around find sales etc. i stopped keeping track of how much i have spent on everything around 400$ :O and i want to expand even more

*edit* check out Brewing Hardware its a pretty decent book covers alot of the hardware home brewers use and how to make it all.

Beer and Kalashnikov since 2007

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2007, 03:42 AM   #12
Willsellout

Recipes 

I built mine with 1/2" and wouldn't go any lower. 1/2" is much sturdier. I used my bottling bucket to mold it around and now I have a 50' 1/2" chiller that chills my wort to pitching temps in about 7 minutes. Of course my groundwater temps are in the low 50's, so that helps.

Dan

Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 04-23-2007, 04:17 AM   #13
blefferd
Recipes 

im using a 6.5 gallon alum. turkey cooker pot which isnt very big in diameter so i needed something a bit tighter which i didnt have lol and i agree with it being sturdy talk about a bi%%$ to bend lol!

Old 04-23-2007, 04:28 AM   #14
Kokamantratarius
Recipes 

Damn guys thanks for all the tips. I am gonna do my homework tommorrow night and make a list, I would tonight but I was out all morning and part of the afternoon and then I got home and bottled my oktoberfest, (Which ROCKS I am so proud of it) so now I am gonna sit back with some buds and brew and relax!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #15
Kokamantratarius
Recipes 

So I took the day off (well deserved btw) and since I've been home I have been brainstorming ideas for a lauter tun. Now I have never seen an actual lauter tun in person just in pictures so any critique is welcome.

Basic rectangular cooler
Oil drip pan (steel or aluminum)
Copper tubing
Flow control valve
Silicone tubing
Misc grommets

My plan is to fashion a false bottom out of the drip pan and drill, drill, drill many times over many many small holes. After I have the pan cut to size I will put a basic door edge molding on the edge of the false bottom to prevent any scratching and stantions at the corners to have a 2inch gap or so above the real cooler bottom.

For my manifold I plan on soldering the copper tubing to make a sectional manifold that runs 2" inside the edge of the cooler with 2-3" gaps along the width running the entire length of the manifold.

From there I plan on doing all the misc grommets and valves.

I have a few questions about the manifold. Should I cut diagonal slits or just drill small (1/8inch maybe?) uniform holes into the copper tubing.

Any advice appriciated.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:46 PM   #16
blefferd
Recipes 

sounds like alot of work, i was talking to the guy at the local HBS and he tried something similiar and said after 2 weeks he got mad and stopped drilling holes lol check out this link they sell perforated SS sheets for fairly cheap

http://www.onlinemetals.com/ be easier to just cut it down to size and save you a few weeks of drilling holes

Old 04-24-2007, 12:56 AM   #17
Jay52
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokamantratarius
My plan is to fashion a false bottom out of the drip pan and drill, drill, drill many times over many many small holes. After I have the pan cut to size I will put a basic door edge molding on the edge of the false bottom to prevent any scratching and stantions at the corners to have a 2inch gap or so above the real cooler bottom.
Potentially difficult. Just as a tip, use a punch to mark the hole locations before you drill. That way, you avoid bit slippage.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:07 AM   #18
Kokamantratarius
Recipes 

In a moment of slight inebriation....I wonder if using a bird shot would work...

Old 04-24-2007, 02:51 AM   #19
blefferd
Recipes 

lol it would be quicker and cheaper than drilling 2000+ holes in a piece of tin!

Old 04-24-2007, 03:14 AM   #20
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Here is my new AG setup, built it pretty cheap, has all the bells and whistles you really need, PLUS it stores all of your equipment between brews!

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/PolTavern/

Quick Reply