Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > new brew on yeast cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
alemonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default new brew on yeast cake

hey all,

If I were to put another beer on the yeast cake of the previous beer, are there any considerations I should think about? Like flavor from old hops. Should the beer be the same beer or a bigger darker one?

THanks in advance. By the way i have been a long time lurker and what a great site!!!

Happy Brewing,

Mike

Reason: sorry for the double post..crazy computer thing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 05:03 AM   #2
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I put a much smaller lighter beer on a bigger darker (and spiced) beer cake. No problems.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 10-18-2009, 05:08 AM   #3
Dubcut
Recipes 

I've never done it before but am going to with trub from my fermenting pumpkin ale. This trub is going to have pumpkin, spices, hops. I'm going to use a portion of the trub for a chocolate peanut butter banana porter I'm putting together. Will be interesting to see if the pumpkin or allspice comes through. I've read that it only takes a small portion of the trub to get the job done.

on deck - Rum/Bourbon Porters, ipa
carboy - Oktoberfest lager
carboy - Oktoberfest S-05 (could be contaminated)
bucket -
keg 1 - Saison
keg 2 -
keg 3 -
keg 4 - Crappy Pilsner
keg 5 - Crappy Pilsner
keg 6 -

Old 10-18-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I debated using the cake from my currently fermenting stout for my next ale, but instead I think I'm just going to wash the yeast from the primary while the stout is in secondary. It seems safer than just repitching on to the cake.

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 10-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
maxbing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just did an APA on top of a stout yeast cake, Just to see the difference it made. In a side by side comparison with the same beer on fresh yeast it is only slightly darker and tastes the same. I believe that all your hops and spices will fall to the bottom of your primary first then be covered up by yeast as the die and settle out of suspension. Every time I do it I make sure not to stir up the Trub.

Quick Reply