Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New brew schedule... or how to brew with toddlers! (input/advice sought!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #31
WheeledGoat
DisMember
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default what a relief

ah, it's so nice to hear that i'm not the only one whos brew life is complicated by the little ones! my girls are 3 & 5 - just the right age that I can usually engage them in helping me.

I know they won't be interested in helping me the whole time, so I over-play it... have them do everything, even the stuff that they aren't excited about - until they get bored of brewing (and me) and go off to play by themselves. I act all dissapointed and sad that they're leaving me, and ask how I'm going to do it all without them, and my 5 year old reassures me that I can do it. It seems to work perfectly to solidify it in their heads that I'm gonna be busy.

I mash & sparge in the kitchen, and boil in the garage. The attention span of 3 & 5 year olds usually ensures they're done with me long before the boil. I check on them often, and sometimes flip on a movie for them, but this way they understand that a)I'm busy and b)it's not something they want any part of.

Admittedly, it helps that I got 2 of 'em - I figure one kid gets bored and seeks out daddy a lot faster, while a pair of them will occupy each other.

I'm gonna be in trouble soon, though, when they get smarter than me and this reverse psychology stuff won't work anymore...

Kegged & On Tap: Bavarian Hefeweizen, 3-year aged Cider

Projects: The Ravens Keezer - Custom Gas System - 10gal MLT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #32
R2-D2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Very relevant topic as I just did my first AG on Saturday with a 3 year old girl and 2 year old son... and wife in Vegas for the weekend.

I cleaned and sanitized everything the night before. Sat them down for lunch while I set up all my gear and heated the water. By about 1:30 the water was at temp and the kids were ready for bed. Put the kids upstairs for their nap, ran downstairs, started the mash, wrapped some towels to retain heat and ran back upstairs to yell at the kids.

One hour later, kids asleep, and ready for sparging. Now, I rushed my collection and sparging at this stage because I knew the kids would be awake within 30-45 minutes. In the future I will be more patient as this affected my efficiency. Collected my amounts and started the boil. Boiling this large amount took longer than I thought and by the time it had started a rolling boil the kids were awake.

The kids were actually super enthusiastic because I allowed them to dump in the hop additions at the 20-15-10-5-0 marks. They loved it! At that point I had to cool down in a ice water bath but they loved that too because they could dip their hands in the cold water to swirl it around the tub.

The 2 1/2 year old son is a handful and I got lucky that he was fairly calm during this time. Next time, I will start the mash well before lunch so that I can collect and sparge right after they go down for their nap. It's all about timing.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #33
Saint Aardvark
Recipes 

I'm in exactly the same boat: 2 sons, 2.5 yrs and 10 mos, and afternoon naps are about 1.5 - 2 hrs in length; fairly dependable, though not always. And the last time I tried doing it at night, I was up 'til midnight; with #2 son up at 5:30am without fail, this is just not possible. (I cannot wait 'til they're in university; I'm going to spend a year in a medically-induced coma just to catch up on sleep. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post
I am thinking that if I can mash/sparge in the afternoon when my son is napping and prepare for the boil. Then let it sit a few hours (3-4) and do the boil in the evening. Hopefully I won't be up all night. I was thinking mash early AM and then let it sit 'til afternoon. Problem is once you've got the boil going you pretty much have to follow through to pitching and I cannot do that in an 1.5-2 hours (nap duration)
That is exactly what I did last Saturday, and it worked like a charm for me -- as far as timing goes, anyhow...this turned out to be my first all-grain batch, so I'm on unfamiliar ground here. However: I took a pint last night for *cough* gravity reading, and it tastes pretty good! So I think this schedule will work out.

(One little variation for me was that I got my older son to dump in the hops when he woke up. For a stout, first-wort hopping may be a bit ridiculous, but he really liked helping Daddy make beer.)

I plan on continuing this schedule, since I'm really looking forward to experimenting with all-grain (perhaps with smaller batches, since I'm still working with an electric stove). The prospect of continuing to brew beer and getting to bed at a reasonable time is just too appealing to pass up.

Fermenting: Unnamed IPA
Last batch: Infected :(
Coming up: Howto batch for a friend; theme bath for local HBC

Old 03-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #34
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

my youngest just started pre-K this year

and my mom takes my girls to Sunday school and keeps them for most the day. moms rock!

man it is hard to do anything when they are that young, just finding the time to take a shower can be hard to do.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #35
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

We have a 2.5 year old and one on the way (any minute now, actually). I have found that brewing in off hours has been my only real solution.

When I was doing extract batches, it generally wasn't bad. Now that I'm doing AG batches in the kitchen, I have found that it helps me to get up early and do it then. I usually get up at 5am and go for a run on the treadmill. So what I started doing was, got everything up and going and while my 60 minute mash was going, I got a 30 minute run in. This gives me a head start before my daughter (or wife) get up and they're both not in my way.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #36
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by janzik View Post
We have a 2.5 year old and one on the way (any minute now, actually). I have found that brewing in off hours has been my only real solution.

When I was doing extract batches, it generally wasn't bad. Now that I'm doing AG batches in the kitchen, I have found that it helps me to get up early and do it then. I usually get up at 5am and go for a run on the treadmill. So what I started doing was, got everything up and going and while my 60 minute mash was going, I got a 30 minute run in. This gives me a head start before my daughter (or wife) get up and they're both not in my way.
Now that's time efficiency... running while mashing!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #37
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My wife takes care of my little beast while I brew. This limit in time is what pushed me to do 15 gallons. I only get to brew once a month. Love the larger batches, same time.......more beer.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #38
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a 2 year old. I generally set everything up before dinner and get everything pre-heated. Since my system maintains temps automatically, I just let it sit for 2 hours. Right before sitting down to dinner I mash in so I know I have 60 minutes to eat and help clean up.

My wife and son come to the garage for an hour during the sparge and then my wife gets him in bed while I tend to the boil.

I then clean up and get in to hang with the wife. If it is past 10 when I finish, I leave everything to be cleaned up the next day.

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #39
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I used to brew in the evenings, outdoors on 2 propane burners I had it down from heating strike water at 8pm to pitching at 1am. Not too shabby.

i decided to switch it up a bit the late nights were getting rough. This past weekend My wife went shopping and I was at home with my 2 boys (3-1/2yo and 15mo.) on what I planned to be my brewday.

The key is prepping everything the night before.
The night before I milled the grains and put the enitre bill in a plastic bucket with a lid. I prepare the water and let it sit with campden a campden tablet. I measured the hops pellets and put them in snack size zip baggies labeled with the addition time. I have everything setup outside and in the fridge.
The day of I barricaded the bew area of the pation with my saw horses and lit the burners. then played tball and soccer with my sons in the yard. Mashed in and b pu the little one to sleep and watched the beginning of a moviewith my older son. Midway through I closed the baby gate and collected my runnings. the younger was up from nap by now so Lunch was outside on the patio while I boiled. Dropped the IC in and put them both down for their afternoon nap. By then it was chilled so I sanatized my racking equip and fermenter and did the transfer and pitched. I left all the stuff out to clean later that night.

Now that it is getting nicer out, I see that as my brewday routine for the foreseeable future...

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 03-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #40
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have a 19 month old, who is probably as active as your little dervish. However, I'm lucky in the setup of my house. I brew on my deck, and can close the screen door while I'm attending to the high detail parts, like sparging. When I'm busy, he stays inside the kitchen/living room either play with his toys or watching me. Sometimes shrieking to be outside with me, but that's just the breaks for him.

When I'm waiting during the mash, or during the calmer portions of the boil, I go inside with him, or sometimes when the weather's nice, I bring him out in his high chair to sit with me outside to make him feel involved. Also, I tend only to brew when the wife is home to fill in... but I very often find that she takes advantage of the moment to get errands done. All said, there's maybe forty total minutes of time that I'm fully engaged in activity, and the rest of the four hours is either watching, waiting, or cleaning up.

Quick Reply