New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New To All Grain - Full Volume?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4 View Post
I appreciate the smiley face, that took the sting out of that comment.
Out of curiosity, I genuinely want to know, what I missed in my brief description of a batch sparge brew day?

I may not have done it, yet. But I've done my share of reading of reading.
Depends on your grain bill. But for my brew yesterday I mashed my 10 lbs. of grain with about 14 quarts of water at 161 to get to 152 mash temp. After mashing, I added another 1.5 gals of 168 water (per Beersmith) to start the runoff. After that I added another 3.5 gallons of 168, stirred and then ran that off. I probably could have gone a bit higher for the sparge additions, but I was following along with Beersmith this go around.

In all, you didn't miss much. But it is very dependent on your grain bill, and what kind of mash thickness you want. Also what you want your mash temp to be.

I was putting the smiley on to let you know I was completely kidding with my comment. It doesn't matter your skill level as long as you are giving good advice. And yours was not bad.

Good luck when you take the expensive plunge.

Also, take anything with Denny's name attached to it with a huge grain of salt. Doesn't make him easier to digest, but it takes your mind off of him.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply