Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New to All-Grain Brewing...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Tanagra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to All-Grain Brewing...

Good Afternoon!

This is the first time I am attempting to brew an all-grain stout recipe. I have made several batches of wine these past few years and since this is my wine off-season, I have decided to delve into the beer world.

My question has to do with the usage of hops and moss that I am using. After boiling the wort with the moss and hops for x minutes as per my recipe, do I discard them before I cool the wort - or do I leave the hops and moss in during the cooling stage and if so, do I go even futher and transfer them to the primary fermentor? My gut tells me to discard them after the boil, but I would like some clarification.

Please forgive my ignorance on the subject - any guidance would be appreciated!

- John

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
mightynintendo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I don't know what other people do, but I leave everything as-is while chilling. After chilling, since I'm a big strong dude, I have a friend hold a strainer as I dump the whole wort from the boil pot through the strainer into a bucket. Slam dunk! You've removed most of the large particles and you've managed to aerate a bit too. Then I dump it back and forth between two buckets three or four times to aerate. Then I siphon with a metal racking cane that has a filtering tip to ensure nothing larger than something the size of pencil shavings will be transferred to the fermenter. If you run your fermentation schedule properly your beer will finish up clear and pure as the wind-driven snow (unless you added wheat to your mash).

'Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.'

—Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

Old 03-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
GRHunter
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I am far from an expert, but you need to be very careful about introducing oxygen to the wort while it is still hot. After that the more oxygen the better. But I leave everything in my boil kettle and just try to be extra careful when I siphon my beer into my fermenter.

Quick Reply