Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New all grain brewer mash question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
enderdsus7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New all grain brewer mash question.

I'm trying Jamil and Palmer's wittebrew for my second all grain batch. The mash schedule in the book has dough-in at 122f, with direction to gradually raise mash to 154 after a 15 min protein rest at 122.
I'm planning to use 2 infusion steps to get to 154 instead of decoction techniques. My mash tun is a modified 48 qt ice cube cooler, so i can't apply direct heat without something like yuri's steam system. Does this plan sound reasonable? Will the two steps cause me to miss some temperature range i should more slowly ascend through?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
blowmax10
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you'll be allright

Like me, All I can do is single infusion and I don't even worry about protein rest

Your not going to make exactly the same beer that Jamil makes but it will still be a good one!

Old 04-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you want to try stepping with infusion, start off with a thick mash of only 1qt/lb.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
enderdsus7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
If you want to try stepping with infusion, start off with a thick mash of only 1qt/lb.
Thanks, that's actually the thickness i plugged into brewtarget mash calculator. Dough-in was calculated to just over 3 gallons, for a 12 lb grain bill, so it looks like i'll be right in that range.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
PHBalanced
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Make sure to report back how this one goes - I was just discussing something similar with a friend.

You buy your smack pack at lunch, as well as some DME for starters. Get back in your car, smack it likes it's SWMBO's ass"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadmium View Post
"SHIMMY!!!!" (aussie for f***kin awesome)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
You know you're a homebrewer when you tell what hops are in a fart.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
enderdsus7
Recipes 

Default Results

Brew day went well. I hit all of my target temps and gravity with the volumes and water temps from brewtarget. I ended up with a 7.5 minute rest at 139 as the intermediate step between 122 and 154, but I really don't know that I accomplished anything useful by doing this. I might have to try this again with a single step from 122F to 154F to see if I wasted my time with an intermediate infusion step.

Lautering was easy, even with 6 lbs of flaked wheat and flaked oats (i can only assume this is due to the rice hulls, since i have not done an AG batch with oats/wheat yet.) Pleased with the Wit so far. Beautiful color and smelled great.

Will try to report back in a few more weeks when bottling time comes around.

Quick Reply