Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New all grain brewer mash question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
enderdsus7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New all grain brewer mash question.

I'm trying Jamil and Palmer's wittebrew for my second all grain batch. The mash schedule in the book has dough-in at 122f, with direction to gradually raise mash to 154 after a 15 min protein rest at 122.
I'm planning to use 2 infusion steps to get to 154 instead of decoction techniques. My mash tun is a modified 48 qt ice cube cooler, so i can't apply direct heat without something like yuri's steam system. Does this plan sound reasonable? Will the two steps cause me to miss some temperature range i should more slowly ascend through?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
blowmax10
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you'll be allright

Like me, All I can do is single infusion and I don't even worry about protein rest

Your not going to make exactly the same beer that Jamil makes but it will still be a good one!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you want to try stepping with infusion, start off with a thick mash of only 1qt/lb.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
enderdsus7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
If you want to try stepping with infusion, start off with a thick mash of only 1qt/lb.
Thanks, that's actually the thickness i plugged into brewtarget mash calculator. Dough-in was calculated to just over 3 gallons, for a 12 lb grain bill, so it looks like i'll be right in that range.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
PHBalanced
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Make sure to report back how this one goes - I was just discussing something similar with a friend.

You buy your smack pack at lunch, as well as some DME for starters. Get back in your car, smack it likes it's SWMBO's ass"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadmium View Post
"SHIMMY!!!!" (aussie for f***kin awesome)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
You know you're a homebrewer when you tell what hops are in a fart.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #6
enderdsus7
Recipes 

Default Results

Brew day went well. I hit all of my target temps and gravity with the volumes and water temps from brewtarget. I ended up with a 7.5 minute rest at 139 as the intermediate step between 122 and 154, but I really don't know that I accomplished anything useful by doing this. I might have to try this again with a single step from 122F to 154F to see if I wasted my time with an intermediate infusion step.

Lautering was easy, even with 6 lbs of flaked wheat and flaked oats (i can only assume this is due to the rice hulls, since i have not done an AG batch with oats/wheat yet.) Pleased with the Wit so far. Beautiful color and smelled great.

Will try to report back in a few more weeks when bottling time comes around.

Quick Reply