Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New to All Grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
dobbinsda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New to All Grain

I decided to step it up to AG, and am in the midst of setting up my system. However, I am running into a question that I can't seem to figure out the answer to. My mash tun is a converted Sanke keg with the weldless Mash conversion kit from More Beer!, meaning I have a 90 degree pickup tube from the false bottom to the ball valve.

During testing whenever I fill the keggle up and drain out through the pickup, the water only drains down to the level of the spigot (simple physics right?). The problem is about 2 gallons of water is remaining in the keggle. I guess I assumed a suction would have formed to drain much more water out.

So is this a problem?

Did I drill the drain hole too high? I guess I could buy a pump to drain more of the liquid out if need be. Or compensate by loss of wort by adding extra grain or extract to reach OG.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
S0meB0dy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you have a tube on your spigot during testing? If not the siphon will be broken when the water level reaches the spigot level. If you are using a tube try tightening your fittings, maybe there is a small air leak that is breaking your siphon.

Fermenting: APA
Up Next: Nutbrown

Old 01-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
dobbinsda
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default No tubing!

I read your post and ran downstairs added some tubing and it worked like a charm!

Thank you for your help!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
kldobbins
Recipes 

I agree with SOmeBOdy.
Cheers

Quick Reply