Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New to AG

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #21
ahaley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tracy, Ca
Posts: 647
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc318

Yup. You will get all the tannins from the husks. In a congress mash where the determine what the 100% yield of sugars from grains is, they practically grind the grain to flour. I highly recommend that brew strong podcast.
Oh, so given my numbers and stuff, or just your experiences, what do you think my actual efficiency is?
And I was looking it up but my computer froze •_•
__________________

South Paw all day, every day.

ahaley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 02:17 AM   #22
chally
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 52
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaley View Post
. . . the gallons was ann estimate of how much I used w/out top off water, but counting boil off.
Can you explain this part a bit? Are you saying you added "top off" water in the carboy? If so, did you measure your gravity before or after topping off? How full (in gallons) was the carboy before and after topping off?

The formula should be based on how much useable wort you produced. So if you got a full six gallons into your carboy, and all six gallons were at 1.052, then your efficiency was really high (unbelievably high), but it sounds like those numbers might not be the right ones.
__________________
chally is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 02:23 AM   #23
tonyc318
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Astoria, Oregon
Posts: 608
Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaley

Oh, so given my numbers and stuff, or just your experiences, what do you think my actual efficiency is?
And I was looking it up but my computer froze •_•
It would be hard to say. I had a recent brew where I messed up my numbers. Had to have measured something wrong. Most likely the preboil volume. The number that is important for efficiency it the preboil gravity number and you need a accurate preboil volume to get true numbers. On that last one, I used an app to kind of back into and estimate for my efficiency.
__________________
tonyc318 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #24
ahaley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tracy, Ca
Posts: 647
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chally
Can you explain this part a bit? Are you saying you added "top off" water in the carboy? If so, did you measure your gravity before or after topping off? How full (in gallons) was the carboy before and after topping off?

The formula should be based on how much useable wort you produced. So if you got a full six gallons into your carboy, and all six gallons were at 1.052, then your efficiency was really high (unbelievably high), but it sounds like those numbers might not be the right ones.
Pre boil I had roughly 6 gallons and it was 1.052, and my "top off" water was added after the boil was finished. I took a gravity reading before and after I topped off the carboy, and they were both 1.050 or 1.052. So I'm not sure where I messed up. Before adding top off water my carboy was around 4 gallons and it was 1.050 and when I added the 1 gallon to my carboy it was 1.052 or vice versa.
So then I should redo the equation with the 5 gallons in my carboy, I blanked about missing that part! I knew I didn't get 100% lol I imagined I'd get like 3% my first time! I feel so stupid now
__________________

South Paw all day, every day.

ahaley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #25
ahaley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tracy, Ca
Posts: 647
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Ok so with the addition of my 4th brain ( aka you guys! ) I got a new efficiency.
5*52=260/8.5=31/37=83%
Does that sound more reasonable? I've taken my gravity reading like 6 times today and it's been consistently 1.052, does that seem realistic?

__________________

South Paw all day, every day.

ahaley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 AM   #26
chally
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 52
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaley View Post
Ok so with the addition of my 4th brain ( aka you guys! ) I got a new efficiency.
5*52=260/8.5=31/37=83%
Does that sound more reasonable? I've taken my gravity reading like 6 times today and it's been consistently 1.052, does that seem realistic?
A couple of clarifications:

Mash efficiency is the measure of how well you extracted sugars from the grain during the mash.

Brewhouse efficiency is the measure of how much of those extracted sugars make it to the fermentor.

My prior post was referencing brewhouse efficiency, but you are probably and understandably asking about your mash efficiency. Sorry for any confusion there.

We can calculate your brewhouse efficiency pretty easily, since we know how much wort reached your fermentor (5 gallons) and what its gravity was (10.52). I come up with 81.5%.

Your mash efficiency is a little trickier, since you are just estimating your pre-boil volume at 6 gallons. Since at 6 gallons your mash efficiency is unreasonably high (97-98%), that's probably an inaccurate estimate. We can (sort of) reverse-calculate your pre-boil volume if you measured your mash and sparge water (that way we can account for grain absorbtion and any liquid left in the mash tun).

Either way, you should be happy with an 81% brewhouse efficiency on the first go-round at AG. Regardless of exact numbers, you did a really good job at getting the most from your grain.
__________________
chally is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #27
chally
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 52
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaley View Post
I've taken my gravity reading like 6 times today and it's been consistently 1.052, does that seem realistic?
Also, make sure your hydrometer is properly calibrated. If your pre-boil gravity was 1.052 at 6 gallons, boiling down to 4 gallons should have significantly raised the gravity: You have the same amount of sugars concentrated in 1/3 less liquid. Likewise, adding a gallon of water to 4 gallons of wort should have reduced the gravity by 20%. A 1.052 before top off should be like a 1.042 afterward. It doesn't make sense that it would stay at 1.050+.

Not much to do about it now, but something to check and keep in mind going forward.
__________________
chally is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #28
ahaley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tracy, Ca
Posts: 647
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chally

Also, make sure your hydrometer is properly calibrated. If your pre-boil gravity was 1.052 at 6 gallons, boiling down to 4 gallons should have significantly raised the gravity: You have the same amount of sugars concentrated in 1/3 less liquid. Likewise, adding a gallon of water to 4 gallons of wort should have reduced the gravity by 20%. A 1.052 before top off should be like a 1.042 afterward. It doesn't make sense that it would stay at 1.050+.

Not much to do about it now, but something to check and keep in mind going forward.
Ya sorry about all of that misunderstanding, I didn't know there was multiple efficiencies. And I blanked on the pre boil, reading. I took so many I'm getting mixed up, I took one before I added the hops thinking thats what I was supposed to do and it was around 10.30 then I panicked and thought that wasn't right and I dismissed it. I'll look through all of my hastily scribbled notes I think it was 1.030 with no hops at about 4 gallons or just over 3. I'm such a noob lol, I have so much to learn!
__________________

South Paw all day, every day.

ahaley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #29
EvilDeadAsh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 121
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

This site has an efficiency calculator:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/

If you want to measure your MASH efficiency, you have to know how much wort you collected and the SG reading PRE-BOIL
If you want to measure your BREWHOUSE efficiency, you have to know how much wort went into your fermentor and your SG reading POST-BOIL

The efficiency calculation in and of itself is the same in either scenario, it just measures different parts of your process.

__________________
EvilDeadAsh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #30
ahaley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tracy, Ca
Posts: 647
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDeadAsh
This site has an efficiency calculator:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/

If you want to measure your MASH efficiency, you have to know how much wort you collected and the SG reading PRE-BOIL
If you want to measure your BREWHOUSE efficiency, you have to know how much wort went into your fermentor and your SG reading POST-BOIL

The efficiency calculation in and of itself is the same in either scenario, it just measures different parts of your process.
Ooh ok so I'll do the equation for both and see what I get, thanks! That makes sense though.
__________________

South Paw all day, every day.

ahaley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools