The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Never calculated effeciency.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
JOHN51277
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Default Never calculated effeciency.

I have done about 5-6 AG batches now and have not once calculated the effeciency. I have come within 5-6 points of OG, so I really was not concerned with it. Now that I am doing more and more batches (thanks to kegging), i'd like to know what my efficiency % is. I use BeerSmith for my brews. Is there a calculator on there? I have never looked, and I am stuck at work till 8. Thanks!

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN51277 View Post
I have done about 5-6 AG batches now and have not once calculated the effeciency. I have come within 5-6 points of OG, so I really was not concerned with it. Now that I am doing more and more batches (thanks to kegging), i'd like to know what my efficiency % is. I use BeerSmith for my brews. Is there a calculator on there? I have never looked, and I am stuck at work till 8. Thanks!
Yes, you can go into the efficiency area, just by double clicking on it on the recipe. Once in there, you can put your OG preboil, and post boil, and it will give you the efficiency.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Yes, you can go into the efficiency area, just by double clicking on it on the recipe. Once in there, you can put your OG preboil, and post boil, and it will give you the efficiency.

Thanks yoop!

Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 04-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Frank99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just a sidenote that you'll have a preboil efficiency and post boil "brewhouse" efficiency. Your brewhouse efficiency will almost always be a few points less due to wort loss from the hops, etc. It's very important to nail your efficiency for when you create your recipes as your efficiency will factor into your final product. Check out the Beersmith website for help...

Old 04-25-2010, 01:49 AM   #5
StAnthonyB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN51277 View Post

I've been brewing for 14 years and have never calculated efficiency. Although Beer Tools Pro (which I just bought a few months ago) tells me I that I hover in the 85% range. The moral is... I still have never calculated it myself. Ahhh, just wing-it! But, wing it smart by being emperical in all the areas except where mathematics is required.

A fistful of hops here... A fistful of hops there... Ah! That smells about right. Fuggles. Fuggles. Not sweet enough. Goldings. That it'll fix it.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:22 AM   #6
JOHN51277

Recipes 

I hit 80.7% according to BeerSmith. That was my Amarillo SMaSH. I have been reading alot of brewing books lately and it has made me want to compare my methods and see if I have a consistant effeciancy. I have a few beers I'd like to duplicate and this will definitely help.

Kegged:

Old 04-27-2010, 01:49 AM   #7
DNW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
d'oh!

All this time I've just been fiddling with the "Brewhouse Efficiency" number until the "expected OG" agreed with what I got. Never realized that was a button!

-David

Brew on...

Quick Reply