The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Neoprene in Mash Tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
TheRenoKid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Neoprene in Mash Tun

I'm getting ready for my first AG brew. I built a mash tun from a 36 qt Coleman cooler and I've driven myself crazy trying to get the outlet valve to stop leaking. I finally came up with a solution but it involved using a large neoprene washer on the inside of the cooler. So my question is:

Is the neoprene safe? Will it leach any chemicals or other nasties into my wort? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Priemus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know Neoprene washers are food safe, cant be sure about the material in wetsuits but I "assume" so.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Can you flip it and put it on the outside of your cooler? I had a similar situation and cut one from a neoprene mousepad but I didn't want it inside and luckily it worked beautifulllay on the spigot side.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
donshizzles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I did the same thing...neoprene washer on the inside. Stopped the leaks and so far no off flavors. Not sure scientifically if it leeches anything at high temps

Old 04-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
TheRenoKid
Recipes 

Thanks for the answers. I stopped in at my local hardware store (old school, not big box) on my way back from the homebrew store a little while ago. I was explaining to the guy what I was trying to do and without prompting, he said I would probably need to use a neoprene washer because it's food safe. So I guess that question is answered.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:30 AM   #6
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Good to know that "the guy" in the hardware store is all knowing! It must be that red vest that gives them all that extra knowledge. Just kidding of course, lol.

If you are ok with hot water in a cooler then a small neoprene washer should work. I'm not sure that all neoprene material is considered foodsafe. Consider this from Wikpedia, "Some people are allergic to neoprene while others can get dermatitis from thiourea, a compound used to vulcanize rubber into neoprene which can be left over after the manufacturing process.[citation needed] Lead-containing compounds, such as litharge (lead(II) oxide), are used as compounding agents to prepare finished products made of neoprene, and these can have a toxic effect on human blood, kidneys, and reproductive systems."

Quick Reply