Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Need some encouragement,please...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
colinwollmann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: manitoba,canada
Posts: 67
Default Need some encouragement,please...

I'm going to try to brew some GOOD BEER again this weekend.After brewing 20 or so 5ga. batches of damn good ale over the last year or so,I've hit a wall.My last 3 or 4 brews just don't taste the same and aren't drinkable,so I'm getting a little pissed off!I'm not going to get into too many details because I've asked and tried just about everything in the book and on this forum,and still no good results.I just need a few high fives or something because I'm no quitter and I'm not going to give up.I'm just getting a little mad because of the wasted time and money of course,and no beer!

I WILL BREW GOOD BEER AGAIN!!!

Sorry, I'm a bit P.Oed as any brewer can imagine.

__________________

C-MANN

colinwollmann is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
wwest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
wwest's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinwollmann
I'm going to try to brew some GOOD BEER again this weekend.After brewing 20 or so 5ga. batches of damn good ale over the last year or so,I've hit a wall.My last 3 or 4 brews just don't taste the same and aren't drinkable,so I'm getting a little pissed off!I'm not going to get into too many details because I've asked and tried just about everything in the book and on this forum,and still no good results.I just need a few high fives or something because I'm no quitter and I'm not going to give up.I'm just getting a little mad because of the wasted time and money of course,and no beer!

I WILL BREW GOOD BEER AGAIN!!!

Sorry, I'm a bit P.Oed as any brewer can imagine.
I feel your pain. Here's to a successful brew session. Did anyone suggest trying to make smaller batches and try to narrow down the cause of the problem? That might save you some cash.
__________________
On Deck: ???
Primary: Best Bitter
Lagering:
Carbonating:
Drinking: Apfelwein, IPA, Jalapeno Ale
wwest is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheJadedDog's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: People's Republic of Cambridge
Posts: 3,323
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

What are you using as a fermentation vessel? An old plastic bucket may be the culprit.

__________________
And now we go AG!

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter
TheJadedDog is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
FlyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FlyGuy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,618
Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
What are you using as a fermentation vessel? An old plastic bucket may be the culprit.
Yep, exactly what I was thinking. Been there....
FlyGuy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
colinwollmann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: manitoba,canada
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
Yep, exactly what I was thinking. Been there....
You guys serious ,man I never thought of that.I'll see if I can find a new one.thanks
__________________

C-MANN

colinwollmann is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 11:17 PM   #6
jcarson83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jcarson83's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 942
Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Default

I had the same problem. It's seems like I'm always fighting against some sort obstacle to the perfect beer. Right now its temperature. Its 103 outside and expensive to keep my house below 80. Just keep learning and keep brewing.

__________________

Last edited by jcarson83; 08-15-2007 at 11:27 PM.
jcarson83 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2007, 02:12 AM   #7
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheJadedDog's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: People's Republic of Cambridge
Posts: 3,323
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinwollmann
You guys serious ,man I never thought of that.I'll see if I can find a new one.thanks
Yep, plastic buckets are easily scratched and over time may harbor bacteria that sanitizing doesn't eliminate. I'd say your first step is to get a new bucket and see if that helps.
__________________
And now we go AG!

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter
TheJadedDog is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
encouragement/warning for new brewers blackwaterbrewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 09-10-2009 09:49 PM
A Short Word Of Encouragement: Flat Beer Petunia Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 01-16-2009 03:42 PM
That's what you call encouragement . . . yashicamat General Chit Chat 1 09-30-2008 06:43 PM