Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Need a recipe/style recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 12:47 AM   #1
dantodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default Need a recipe/style recommendation

My wife says I can't say why but I'd like to brew a celebratory ale/mead that will be peaking in about 7.5 months.

What styles will be just about perfectly conditioned in that time frame? I am a partial mash brewer just starting back up after a LOOOONG break in brewing. I might be willing to try a relatively easy AG but since this will have to be a "double" batch based on the celebration I expect to have in 7.5 months!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2006, 01:01 AM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Congrats! I did an Oktoberfest for basically the same reason (I think). Since you're not considering lagers and I don't know anything about meads, I'd say consider something with some spices and/or high abv that would need the conditioning time. Alternatively, you could always just brew something you really like and do it closer to the celebratory date...

Old 10-29-2006, 01:05 AM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Congrats, as well!

Speaking of which, BvVG, how's the little celebration? Get any sleep yet?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:08 AM   #4
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Congrats, as well!

Speaking of which, BvVG, how's the little celebration? Get any sleep yet?
Not to hijack, but the fact is we spent last night in the ER/Hospital getting tests run only to find out she had reflux (which was a relief). Sleeping like a log today! Getting ready to head down for bath time.

Thanks for asking.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:11 AM   #5
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Alternatively, you could always just brew something you really like and do it closer to the celebratory date...
Thanks, I might just do that. I think diddling away money on a lagering fridge could get me in serious sparge water with SWMBO and June isn't exactly barleywine or spiced beer season.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:14 AM   #6
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

What about a Hefeweizen or Belgian ale? Might be refreshing around that time. A Kolsch or California steam might also be a refreshing beer if you could ferment in the 60's, and you wouldn't have to be in hot sparge water.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:15 AM   #7
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Not to hijack, but the fact is we spent last night in the ER/Hospital getting tests run only to find out she had reflux (which was a relief). Sleeping like a log today! Getting ready to head down for bath time.

Thanks for asking.

Always scary. Our son has reflux (common for kids with severe CP) and takes prevacid solutabs. They are REALLY REALLY easy to administer so if you need to treat the reflux push for solutabs. Also, don't let them do a Ph probe test if you can help it. They're pretty uncomfortable and really only give a pretty weak single night sample that is not well extrapolated. [/self-hijack]

Old 10-29-2006, 01:13 AM   #8
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Thanks for the info, I'll keep the solutabs in my mind. So far (last night, today) it seems like it works to incline her mattress a bit but we're going to have to track it a while and see what happens over a matter of weeks. After the tests they ran last night I don't think we'll be going back to the hospital anytime soon unless things are very severe!

Old 10-29-2006, 01:27 AM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

That's great to hear, Baron.

We had a scare with Cassie when she was very young. A week or two before she was born, they noticed that she had an arrhymthia. There was some hope that the birthing process would "fix" it, but alas, four days later we're at the big hospital in Springfield, at the pediatric ICU. Basically, we had to bring her there for two and a half days while they put her on medication, so that they could monitor her. Her heartrate was well north of 200, it was doing an extra beat. Pretty freaky. But, they put her on a beta-blocker, which slowed her regular rate down and kept the extra beats from kicking in, and now - her body has healed itself (as is fairly common). We had to give her meds three or four times a day for the first year, but now, she's fine.

So, I know all about the scary trip to the hospital. God, that's scary.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:41 AM   #10
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Wow, that is scary...much worse than what we had to deal with. Glad everything has worked itself out. It certainly puts a lot of stress on a family, but even in the first month the rewards have been tremendous.

At one point my wife looked over at me and said, "Oh, no...your brewday!" Obviously it wasn't a priority, but by God I'm brewing on Monday!

Quick Reply