Need a recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p40whk

Reaction score
I'm planning my first batch of all grain and haven't quite decided what to brew but am leaning towards an Oatmeal-Milk Stout or a Wheat beer with some kind of fruit.

My equipment will net me a 10+ gallon batch.

I was playing with Brewer's Friend Recipe calculator (still trying to figure things out) and plugged in the following after doing some research on Stout Recipes.

I thought this would be a simple first all grain batch to try:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Oatmeal Stout Recipe

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 11 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 13 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.049
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.82%
IBU (tinseth): 0
SRM (morey): 40

FERMENTABLES:
20 lb - American - Pale 2-Row - Toasted (76.9%)
2 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (7.7%)
2 lb - Flaked Oats (7.7%)
1 lb - American - Roasted Barley (3.8%)
1 lb - American - Chocolate (3.8%)

HOPS:
3 oz - Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 0 min (Not Sure When to Add This)

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 156 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 80 qt
2) Sparge, Temp: 168 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 80 qt

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
28 oz - Lactose, Type: Fining, Use: Mash

YEAST:
White Labs - Bedford British WLP006
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 76%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 65 - 70 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.5 (M cells / ml / deg P)

thanks!

I would hold off toasting the base malt. Maybe just do 5 lbs of it. You run the risk of denaturing the enzymes, which would make your mash ineffective. The toasty flavor might be better if you toast the oats instead. I prefer no crystal malt in my stouts but that is just a matter ad taste. Good call keeping things simple. Because its your first all grain and you're using a fair amount of flaked grain, I recommend throwing in some rice hulls so your mash doesn't end up stuck.

Thanks for the replies but I had a fire in my garage over the weekend and lost all of my brewing equipment, it will be a while before I'm back in action!

Sorry to hear about the fire. As for the recipe though, looks solid. Almost identical to a stout recipe I made for my buddy to brew awhile ago, which turned out nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Great looking recipe, but I would boil the hops for 60 min and reduce to 1.5 oz or less.

Thanks guys, insurance is covering the replacement of everything I lost so I get to rebuild my system from the start. Just now trying to decide on an HLT and BK since I should be able to afford more. Probably going to stick with a Coleman Extreme for a Mash Tun unless there's a better option.

Latest posts

Back