Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Need help trying to decipher Hefeweizen flavor.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #11
PVH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Looks like it could be the Phenol effect. What do you think?
Like I said, it doesn't seem like fermentation temp or yeast strain is the issue here. If it's the water, why did you not experience this problem before?

You could brew another beer with new fermentation equipment to rule out wild yeast or bacterial infection.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

We're also not clarifying if he means "German hefeweizen" or "American hefeweizen," which most of us would call "American wheat," but you have breweries like Pyramid who make an American wheat and call it a Hefeweizen...

So it we're talking American wheat I can totally see that in these recipes, but if phenols are really what you're dealing with I'd blame sanitation. How did you sanitize your bottles?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #13
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson
We're also not clarifying if he means "German hefeweizen" or "American hefeweizen," which most of us would call point "American wheat," but you have breweries like Pyramid who make an American wheat and call it a Hefeweizen...

So it we're talking American wheat I can totally see that in these recipes, but if phenols are really what you're dealing with I'd blame sanitation. How did you sanitize your bottles?
German, like the article points out. I keg, and even though I'm open to a sanitation issue, I'm pretty anal about it and highly doubt it.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #14
Yambor44

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH

Like I said, it doesn't seem like fermentation temp or yeast strain is the issue here. If it's the water, why did you not experience this problem before?

You could brew another beer with new fermentation equipment to rule out wild yeast or bacterial infection.
I was wondering that myself and came to this conclusion. I remember reading something about water treatment plants adding more chemicals on weekends and Holidays to compensate for their absence during that period. Both of the above listed beers were done on a Saturday and the one I missed the Campden tablets on before was a Wednesday. Interesting if nothing else.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
I was wondering that myself and came to this conclusion. I remember reading something about water treatment plants adding more chemicals on weekends and Holidays to compensate for their absence during that period. Both of the above listed beers were done on a Saturday and the one I missed the Campden tablets on before was a Wednesday. Interesting if nothing else.
It definitely sounds like chlorophenols. Maybe the water company switched to chloramines or switched back and forth? I know if we have heavy rains, they add more chlorine to our water.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #16
MadRok
Recipes 

I just bottled an IPA that had a hefe taste...I wasn't sure if that was just pre carbonation and that taste would change after another 2-3 weeks, or if there might be problems from my water source. Its not bad, just a hint.

"In Beer We Trust"

Old 07-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #17
Yambor44

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRok View Post
I just bottled an IPA that had a hefe taste...I wasn't sure if that was just pre carbonation and that taste would change after another 2-3 weeks, or if there might be problems from my water source. Its not bad, just a hint.
Sorry too drag this back up, but how did this one turn out after bottle conditioning?

Since the above mentioned beers, our water company (city municipality) has changed all of our water lines that tie into the mains. Speaking with some of the supervisors on site I found out some of the lines feeding some of the homes further up our street still had lead pipes.

The replacement lines were all blue plastic or whatever you would cal the material.

I have an IPA on tap right now. 10 gallon batch split between 2 - 5 gallon kegs. Brewed with bottled spring water. Keg A (added to Primary 1st and kegged 1st) has no hint of Hefe flavor. Keg B has no Hefe aroma, but has a Hefe like flavor that seems to be clearing up.

This batch was rushed to tap as I was out of beer. 15 dyas primary then kegged. 4 days at 30 psi, then tapped.

Here's the recipe and notes.

SNIPA #105
14-B American IPA
Author: Rob
Date: 6/9/12

Size: 11.0*gal
Efficiency: 88.0%
Attenuation: 83.0%
Calories: 231.22*kcal per 12.0*fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.070 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 9.69 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 7.65% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 61.1 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
22*lb RAHR 2 Row
1*lb Crystal Malt 60°L
2.0*lb Cara-Pils® Malt
1.74*oz Magnum (12.1%) - added during boil, boiled 60*m
1*oz Northern Brewer (10.8%) - added during boil, boiled 45.0*m
1*oz Cascade (6.4%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0*m
2.0*oz Cascade (6.4%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0*m

Notes
Subbed NB for Perle. Changed recipe from a Pale Ale to an IPA by adjusting grain and hop bill.
Strike temp 167. Doughed in, mash temp 153. End of 80 minute mash also 153.
6-24-12 Kegged (only 15 days- thought it had been 21)
Tapped 6-28-12 (yes, 4 days after kegging).

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.21

Quick Reply