Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > need help on temprature and PH testing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
doctorgonzo79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default need help on temprature and PH testing

I'm brewing now and just tested the mash PH with some new test strips I got from LHBS. Was confused the vial gave no indication of test temp. So called and was told it doesnt matter with strips what temp. the test is taken at.
knowing temp. affects PH; am I being told the strips are that inacurate or what.
Reading came out what appears to be 5 PH taken at 153F 15 mins. into mash. this is a summer wheat ale: 6#pale malt, 5# pale wheat, 1# crystal 40L. should I adjust this or will it fly?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
JakeFegely
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Paper strips are generally not very accurate. If the strip is indicating somewhere around 5, I'd leave it alone. You want to be in the 5 to 5.5 area.

Have you ever done this recipe before? With the same water? If you have and it turned out, the pH is probably fine.

A digital test meter - like the Milwaukee 55 or 56 is much more accurate than strips.

I thought raising kids required patience until I started trying to convince yeast to make beer.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
doctorgonzo79
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

nope new recipe, same H2O from my tap for all brews though and they all seem to be ok so far though a little inefecient. this is the last thing i have to adjust so i got the strips.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorgonzo79 View Post
I'm brewing now and just tested the mash PH with some new test strips I got from LHBS. Was confused the vial gave no indication of test temp. So called and was told it doesnt matter with strips what temp. the test is taken at.
knowing temp. affects PH; am I being told the strips are that inacurate or what.
Reading came out what appears to be 5 PH taken at 153F 15 mins. into mash. this is a summer wheat ale: 6#pale malt, 5# pale wheat, 1# crystal 40L. should I adjust this or will it fly?
I think the affect of temperature on pH has more to do with the instruments doing the measuring. A change in pH requires a change in the [H+] concentration. This is not going to change with heating (except if there is a lot of evaporation). Temperature affects how the the electrodes work, so it is really a change in how the pH meter works, not an actual pH change.

It is common for the pH of a mash to drop with time.

The pH strips are good for getting you in the ballpark, but can be off by a couple tenths. There are better than nothing, but leave something to be desired.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply