Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Need help with a habanero ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Okay so I've never cooked or brewed with habanero or jalapeño so I need some help. Daughters Bo loves hot sauce jalapeño and habanero. Asked me to brew him up a batch but haven't a clue what it would taste like. After a few searches I see that roasting 3 over the grill and putting them in last few minutes of boil would work. Then vodka soaked 2-3 more in secondary for additional. So, I need help from someone who has done this and how much is too much and would smoking on the grill vs roasting in the oven the best flavor? So, throw out some ideas please.

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 02:19 AM   #2
StompingClover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not sure how much help this'll be. I brewed a peach habanero saison. I used 5 dried habaneros 30 mins in the boil. I didn't use any in secondary as I wasn't looking for the heat as much as I wanted the habanero flavor. Turned out great. I got good habanero flavor on the back end. I talked to another guy who used habaneros in secondary. He said to be careful...3-5 peppers for a 5 gal brew and only 3-5 days in secondary.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StompingClover
Not sure how much help this'll be. I brewed a peach habanero saison. I used 5 dried habaneros 30 mins in the boil. I didn't use any in secondary as I wasn't looking for the heat as much as I wanted the habanero flavor. Turned out great. I got good habanero flavor on the back end. I talked to another guy who used habaneros in secondary. He said to be careful...3-5 peppers for a 5 gal brew and only 3-5 days in secondary.
That's definitely some help since I'm lost on this one. I also was thinking that something in the boil would probably kill the heat but help bring out some of the flavor? Not sure. Then the ones in secondary would bring out the heat of the pepper. And would grilling it help bring out some smokey flavor or would that ruin the pepper?

Also, a simple grain bill. Probably something like
12 lbs 2 row
8 oz crystal

Lower IBU's maybe like 40-50?

Another thing I'm wondering is since a lot of my Corona and Tecate drinkers like lime might there also be a way to get some citrus hopped character in there or would that muddy it up? Cascade for aroma and dry hop I was thinking wouldn't over power the pepper?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Also if anyone can help with this. I tend to like habaneros over jalapeños. They seem smoother to me. Anyone brewed with both or have a preference as to which taste better in a brew?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:55 AM   #5
StompingClover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 45 Posts

Mine had quite a bit going on and it turned out well. I had added some coriander, grains of paradise, and bitter orange peel to get a spicy citrus tone. Maybe adding an oz of lime zest for the last 5 minutes of the boil might give you the flavor you're looking for. You might also consider using some Citra hops, they tend to have a strong grapefruit/lime aroma.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #6
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I brew an award winning green chile blonde ale. The technique for the chiles is that I bbq them until they are are burnt and bubbly. Once cooked I immediately put them into a plastic bag to steam for 15-20 minutes. I then put the whole bag into the freezer. Freezing the cooked chiles helps to break down the cell walls so they will "leak" even more flavor when thawed. I put mine(whole)into the secondary with the finished beer. Let your own taste be the judge when rack to into the keg.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Old 05-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
heferly
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't brewed with chilis, but I'll tell you, you can't grill a habenero...tried it once and there's not enough flesh. Maybe smoking it would work, but on the grill, i just got a useless burnt pepper

Old 05-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 2637

Subscribed.

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
BowserBjohnson
Recipes 

I made a cream ale with habanero for my mother. I only made a 1 gal batch to test and used the habanero in the secondary. The way I did it was:
two days before shifting to a secondary I placed one cut up one habanero in a pan and got it a little bit burnt up then soaked it in vodka for two days. When I did my secondary I just tossed it in.

My mother and everyone she shared it with loved it and now I am being forced to make more.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
ardonthorn5
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i'm thinking of doing a smoked blonde'ish kind of ale ... 6 row, smoked malt and roasted poblanos. I wish you luck on yours!

Quick Reply