Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Need help! All grain single step mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
kdagostino
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Need help! All grain single step mashing

Can someone explain what is going on here. Only my 2nd all grain and im not getting when and how much water is being added and at what temp. It looks as though the recipe callls for 3.16 gallons to dough in but at what temp? I also would like to know what a saccharification rest is and how the temp jumps from 154 to 168 in the mash out. Just an overview of the process used would help a lot. Thanks.

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 8.19
Water Qts: 10.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 2.50 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.22 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 0
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 168 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume Gal: 3.16 - Dough-In Infusion Only

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
shtoive87
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I don't have a lot of experience with all-grain brewing, but one of the best resources out there is John Palmer's "How to Brew" book. He has the first edition for free at www.howtobrew.com. The definition of a saccharification rest is given at http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-5.html.

The temperature will depend on the recipe. In your recipe, it looks like you dough in at 154, and probably rest there for 60 mins. After lautering, I would then dump in 168 degree sparge water, let it rest for about 10 minutes, then lauter the rest of the wort. Some people have heatable mash tuns, so they are able to raise the temperature after the 60 minute rest before they lauter the wort.

I've only done one all-grain recipe, so one of the more experienced brewers might chime in with more details.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:18 AM   #3
KoedBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here are a couple of good mash temp calculators. These are what I use and they tend to be pretty accurate. I am not exactly sure what else you are asking? I tend to go with 1.5 quarts to pound ratio for a single infusion mash. Just add the water and the grain at the same time.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml
http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

Old 08-31-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can also grab a trial version of BeerSmith. Plug in your equipment and you should be good to go.

Quick Reply